Quantcast

Amazon Instant Video app now available to some Google TV devices

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by usnret04, Dec 21, 2012.

1. usnret04

usnret04 New Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

An Amazon Instant Video app for Google TV is really good news. It isn't available yet for my Google TV devices but must be coming soon.

3. usnret04

usnret04 New Member

Supposedly the Co-Star needs a "PlayReady" update which is "coming soon".

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I guess I should say hopefully it is coming soon for the first generation Google TV devices, I can't say I know it is. Early reports are it runs well on the LG Google TV displays. I will guess that LG displays are getting the desirable updates first because those are the most expensive Google TV products. I don't have an issue with that. I am running a Sony NSZ-GT1 on a dumb LG 50" display, the 50PJ350 720p plasma, and really like it. It will be many years before I buy another HD display if things go as I hope and even then I doubt it will be a display with Google TV built in but making those the Cadillac Google TV device is good business.

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Yeah, this is sweet ...!(lol)

6. mdvalenz

mdvalenz New Member

None of my devices are supported. Can someone with a supported device upload the apk? I can try sideloading this weekend.

7. usnret04

usnret04 New Member

From what I have gathered so far, you need modules provided only with v. 3 so even if you sideload it, it won't run. Only the newer LG TV's so far have v.3 software. Since the recent update to the Co-Star was v. 350, I think they are referring to api v.3.

UPDATE: V3 of Googletv sofware is different than the v3.5 that co-star is running. V3 from google brings voice and few other features.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO based on what the Amazon GTV support page is currently saying (see link below) - it doesn't seem likely that first generation GTV devices will be compatible with their new GTV app:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200545640

From the Amazon web site:

"About Google TV Versions

Google TV 1.0: Amazon Instant Video is supported through a Web browser on Sony Beyond TV and Blu-ray players and Logitech Revue with Google TV.

Google TV 2.0: Use the Amazon Instant Video app for devices manufactured beginning in 2012 to rent, buy, and watch Amazon Instant Video titles, including HD movies and TV episodes."

• Like Like x 2
  9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

it's only supported on new GTV devices because of hardware and software limitations. It will be supported on Sony, Vizio and the pulse moving forward is the news I received from google tv. My guess when they say Sony they mean the NSZ-GS7 that sony has out now and not the 1st gen models like I have :(

By the way , it's not available for the pulse as of yet as when I tried to install it it said it was incompatible so my guess is from what google tv said that it will be available for those other mentioned models in the future.

10. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I suspect that this is due to DRM issues. I know that Amazon tends to be a bit picky about DRM and their content - for a time they pulled instant video support on the Chromebook because the Chrome Flash plug-in didn't support DRM. Interesting that Google owns Widevine (which is supposed to deal with DRM) - but I'm not sure of all the ins & outs of the hardware & software involved for the DRM that Amazon wants.

• Like Like x 2
  12. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

CatfishRivers - Looks like your right - I read this on the programmers page - (No, this is not yet available on Sony and Vizio - Those devices do not yet have the new PlayReady update. Stay Tuned!)
    so even if a person sideloads it I bet it wont work without the playready update that will be in the v3 google tv updates.

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Amazon Instant Video, what you need to know

As you know, Amazon's Instant Video app was released to the Google Play Store earlier this morning for Google TV. Many people are frustrated, upset, or confused with this announcement. Here's what you need to know:

Google TV Version 3
    Due to software and hardware limitations, only devices running Google TV platform version 3 will be supported. Once your device receives the version 3 update, you'll be able to install the Amazon Instant Video application.

I keep hearing about PlayReady, what is that?
    The Amazon Instant Video app uses PlayReady. PlayReady is DRM software. You can't get it manually. It has to be installed from a Google TV update.

Device Support
    The first device supported is the LG Google TV. The LG Google TV has already been updated to version 3. Moving forward, Sony, Vizio, and Hisense Google TV devices will be supported as well.

My device wasn't listed, what now?
    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Logitech Revue is an old device. It was first released October 2010. That's over two years old. That is ancient in terms of technology. Don't forget the Revue was the very first Google TV device. All of you that bought it were early adopters and on the bleeding edge of technology.

Let's compare this do the Nexus One or even the Nexus S. Those Android phones didn't officially receive the last round or even few rounds of Android updates as they are old, aging devices.

The Revue was expensive. The wave of the future is a cheap $99 set top box that can be easily replaced every 2 years or so. The Co-Star and the Pulse are great choices available today, you might want to check them out.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask any of the #googletvambassadors here on Google+. We'd love to help.

#amazoninstantvideo #GoogleTV #viziocostar #hisensepulse #sonygoogletv

[​IMG]Amazon Instant Video-Google TVAmazon Mobile LLC[​IMG]

Enjoy Amazon Instant Video on Google TV by downloading this free app. Amazo...
    [​IMG]Install

14. jamor9391

jamor9391 New Member

This is promising. The web page interfaces is awful.

15. JonWaite

JonWaite New Member