Quantcast

Amazon Fire TV - Your Hands On Experience

Discussion in 'Amazon Fire TV' started by revue5, Apr 3, 2014.

1. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

First impression... :)

• Simple setup (w/on-screen instructions & video)
    • The user Interface, simple, intuitive and very responsive
    • Stable (no delays, no lag, no hiccups, so fare...)
    • Sharpe PQ (vibrant colors)
    • Support 1080p video & 5.1surround sound (DD+/DD/PCM)
    • Some multitasking

Amazon contents loading time is very impressive, streams almost instantly. Not sure, it's the horsepower, the ASAP feature/pre-cache or both? I'll do deeper browsing to find out.

& btw, the box converts Netflix DD+. So, if you looking to get 5.1 surround sound; plug it directly into AV receiver, TV (w/optical out) or use optical from the box to a legacy receiver.

The voice search works w/amazon (tip: wait for the beep & hold while talking)
    Looks like, finally the streaming players start to got the hardware they deserve.

i think Amazon done a really good job on this hardware & i expect this product to be successful as they add more apps...

no IR remote/receiver to use w/URC
    no 24p
    netflix adaptive stream starts with high PQ (& it doesn't shrink end-credit)
    color space output; RGB limited (16-235)
    can't figure out how to customize homescreen?
    researching keyboard (pairing)... found it here

Cheers

device updates @ initial setup, btw.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Revue5 thanks for your first impression.

Do you think the Fire TV will be able to handle a web browser?

If so can you please make a web browser app for the Fire TV? -:)

Also interested to hear about your results with keyboard pairing.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

It sure can. One web browser... coming right up ...:D

Keyboard; I'll keep you posted

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I was able to pair the K700 to FireTV usb port with no issues, (keys, pad & controller) .... works like a charm .... :D

see this link for instruction

cheers

• Like Like x 2
  6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am sure someone will side load a web browser and report the results. With 2GB RAM and Qualcomm Snapdragon quad core processor, the box might run a web browser great or maybe not.

7. ChrisG8

I read reviews until I got tired and found nothing about a web browser running on the box. I checked to see if the Amazon Appstore had a web browser available like Google Play Store does and didn't find one. I bet somebody today will provide a real answer to the question but it looks like a no so far. As far as services it appears to me aren't covered but need to be:

Vudu
    Redbox
    HBOGo
    Crunchyroll

8. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

there is an ADB function in the settings... this means that side loading apps is possible.. and it also means that root and rom replacement will be pretty quick... im quite sure they will obtain root by the end of the month... Xbmc community and XDA are both starting at the hacking of this little box.. XBMC has been loaded but there are still problems with video play back past SD,, but there are so many variants of xbmc and switches and settings it may just be to toggle the right var.. dunno... but from what i have seen of the shear speed of this thing.. and the horse power for per dollar.. its the best thing going... it may be hampered by amazons constraints... but once its rooted... it will be a heck of a streaming box... and this is why i bought one... not for what is dose but for what it will do in a month or so.... its really just a fire HDX with out a screen for a 100 bucks... so running a browser should be no great shakes.. its fast and has a huge power plant for the price..

9. 51018

51018 New Member

I ordered on. I have the orginal (1st generation) Kindle Fie. Will Amazon TV work with it?

10. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

Does NBC Sports Live Extra work on this thing? Thank you.

11. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

Very impressed with the AFTV, its just more refined then any thing i have used so far... its simple to use as a roku but it provides a better user experience with plex and although netflix is still on version behind... Hulu PLays the same... Frequency is very good.. youtube is very good.. i have not installed xbmc yet... but its comming... if you have amazon prime there is lots of Amazon movies and TV shows... but the real stand out for me so far is Plex... it works with the plex cast functionality it starts almost instantly.. even using channels... im sure there is a bug some where that going to hit... but i believe that as a work in progress its well done.. IF google tv could have done this kind of refinement with their interface and get all those network agreements... then this would have been the perfect idea for google tv... just 5 min of use on this and it really kinda gives you and idea of how clunky the first and even second gen stuff was... the processors are just out classed and the memory or lack there of... just sad... im not going to bag on google ... but i will say... try a fire next to any google tv... and it will be apparent.. it kinda reminds me more of an xbox then an android devise... heck if this thing gets juiced up with a new rom and rooted and all set with xbmc i can get rid of my minix x7 and roku 3,, and at least one google tv.... but... you will need to try one for your self do a side by side, for a hundred bucks this thing is just golden..

• Like Like x 8
  12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Nope.

Don’t have KF first gen. but AFTV uses “Miracast” aka,"Wireless display" feature, mostly supported on Android 4.2 (& above). Check KF settings > Display & Sounds > if “Display Mirroring” / "Wireless display" option available? ( if not, try to update it to 4.2 - research that ...) - have fun :)

13. eelpout

eelpout New Member

I read on an Amazon review that 5.1 audio doesn't worth with the Plex app, anyone here tried it? I have an AFTV sitting here unopened and not sure I'll keep it quite yet.

Anyone with a Sony GS8 compare the voice search?

14. retroben

retroben Active Member

Does it have the ART runtime setting for replacing the JIT runtime method?

The ART runtime has an AOT ahead-of-time compiling method that makes apps open faster and run faster.

Despite ART being "introduced" in 4.4 KitKat,it can already be found and enabled in the JellyBean versions,at least I think it can.

15. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

You can add IR receiver to Fire TV usb port. Here is a simple inexpensive way to do it. (if you don't have one) get the MCE PC Remote Control & follow these steps.

no lag, it works like a charm ...

enjoy it & remember this forum/solutions ... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Apw2607

Apw2607 New Member

Fantastic tip. That is going to make a lot of people happy !

17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    No kidding!!.... It wasn't easy to figure out, btw. But here's a better tip, buy all MCE remote stock from amazon & put 'em on eBay! ...:D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  18. ChrisG8

I have one of those PC media center remote controls, I thought it was worthless and will sure sell it if it is worth enough to justify listing it on eBay. I don't use but I do know where it is.

19. Apw2607

Apw2607 New Member

Have you guys figured out the settings and menu buttons ? It looks like those are the only two buttons that don't seem to be available on the MCE remote ? Not a show stopper since you can use the home button to get back or the left button ... But it's not as streamlined.

20. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

so far this is the BEST android box i have ever used... no freezes no lockups... once you get the hang of side loading via adb... every thing works fine... not happy about amazons choice to ham string the voice search to only scan across amazon store content... it would be nice to see this work across hulu and netflix.. but over voice search.. its neat but its not something i use constant... i bought this as an experiment to see if it would be a good XBMC box.. and its the best out there except for a dedicated HTPC or Linux BOX.. it plays 720 and 1080p very very well... liquid smooth video... the color range and image quality is much nice then the china android boxes i have tried... other stuff.. games... there a lot... and they all load and play smooth... and you can uninstall and it still stays in the cloud... so.. i guess your stats and stuff are retained.. it work with the revue kb really well.. although the browser is wonky... just operation of firefox seems clunky... but it may just be a settings tweak... what ever the fire was meant to do... it will do very well... there is no almost right or just about working with it... all the HULU, NETFLIX, AMAZON YOUTUBE... content plays flawless... but the amazing thing about it is still the XBMC... it is quick quick.. loads screens searches.. just every thing.. as long as you stick with SPMC or OUYA builds of XBMC. Frodo. its not even a week yet so GOTHAM is a no go so far... but it will be fixed.. and now All CAST is offering screen mirroring... so it may be air play like... dunnno... trying out that feature soon enough.. i may spool up a full review some time and get every thing all organized and stuff... but off hand right now..... i think its the best thing going.... when root comes to the masses and this thing can be streamlined a bit... it will get really interesting..

• Like Like x 4