Quantcast

Amazon Fire TV Devices Now Support Firefox Web Browser

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 20, 2017.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

https://liliputing.com/2017/12/amazon-fire-tv-devices-now-support-firefox-web-browser.html

A few weeks after launching the first web browser for Amazon Fire TV devices, Amazon has now announced that users have two options.

You can still use the company’s own Silk Browser, which now supports all Fire TV devices. But you can also now opt for Mozilla’s Firefox browser for Fire TV.

Both are available as free downloads from the Amazon Appstore, and both are optimized for TV-sized displays and remote control-based input.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I really like my Chromebox but as far as I can tell there haven't been any new models released in quite a long time. This gives me the impression that they probably aren't selling well. Obviously the Chromebooks outsell the Chromeboxes. If my Chromebox goes out again (it's off of warranty now) I might consider an Amazon Fire TV because of the web browser support. If new Chromeboxes are released I'd probably go in that direction. I'm not really interested in the Chromebit dongle because I want something that's a bit more powerful with ethernet support.

As for YouTube support on Fire TV it appears that Amazon & Google are trying to work something out:

https://liliputing.com/2017/12/amazon-planning-launch-youtube-clone.html

Also with a web browser a YouTube app wouldn't be mandatory to access YouTube. I believe one could simply go to the regular YouTube web interface with the web browser. It's my understanding that Google plans to block the YouTube leanback site from working on Fire TV devices. Nothing has been said about blocking the "regular" YouTube web interface from working with web browsers. (This situation is ongoing and not resolved yet so we'll see what happens.)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

Sounds good, but It'd be interesting to see what they consider "optimized" for TV. I'd be surprised if it's even close to GoogleTV Chrome browser, and even that isn't optimized.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Nvidia Shield comes up with for a browser on it's 3GB RAM.