Quantcast

Amazon Currently Offering the Sony NSZ-GS8 For $99.99

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 8, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I just noticed that Amazon is currently offering the Sony NSZ-GS8 for $99.99. This represents a big price drop as previously the ongoing price was around $168 to $169.99.

Sounds like a good deal - but IMO buyers should be aware that this sale could very well represent a closeout before the device is discontinued. Also certainly no guarantees that this device will ever be updated beyond the Honeycomb OS.

Amazon.com: Sony NSZGS8 Internet Player with Google TV: Electronics

2. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Here we go again...

The same thing has happened before, with all other Units GTV before announcing they were discontinued!

So, I Think that this is a Very, Very Bad News!!

3. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

With all the money Sony lost last year and them selling off product lines I kinda figured sooner or later they would throw in the towel.With AndroidTV going to be a sure thing you could see the writing on the wall.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

In my opinion this is a better streaming media player than the other really good $100 players, Amazon Fire TV and the Roku 3. Sony may not update it again, so only buy it if you are the type that can make it work as is, I can make it do what I want the way it stands now. Sony must have discontinued it at this point and whatever remaining inventory retailers have will be blown out at a low price.

5. Travel

Travel Active Member

Wonder if it's a coincidence that Google I/O is coming-up in two weeks, and if anyone asks "where's Sony" they will just say that they've dropped support for GoogleTV, completely. Which begs the question of whether there'll be a definite sale-date for the Hisense Pulse Pro announced at Google I/O.

But, I agree that the GS7 is still a great media player, as-is, without the Jelly Bean update. You can download other media player apps, use the native Netflix and YouTube apps, Play Store apps, and even install third-party, media streaming apps from the internet. All with the overlay and Prime Time, etc. You just can't do all that on the other "simple boxes."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

When was the last time a new media App has been added to the GS7/GS8 and how many have we lost since release?

Alas, Google Tv is a dead product ... and IMO $99 is still too high to encourage a Logitech Revue type of sales surge.

And yes, it sure looks like Google intends to bury Google Tv in sand at Google I/O by announcing their new direction.

7. ChrisG8

What new media apps are you expecting and what has been lost? Don't buy it if it is too high for you, not very complicated, I have experience with the competition at the same pricce and this box blows them all away for my needs.

8. jonw747

Don't you remember the early days of the product when we'd go check out the playstore and the forum and find out what was new? And go check it out? I can't remember the last time I've loaded anything new on to the product because there is nothing new.

People are always free to make their own decisions based on their owns set of requirements. Nothing I say, or you say is going to change that; but GTV at this point in time should be considered a dead product and anyone considering buying it shouldn't expect anything more out of it than what it can do right now.

We've lost some of the Spotlight Apps (notoriously HBOGo) and some of them still sorta work, but they all should have been converted to Apps by now.

9. oblivion0

oblivion0 New Member

Looks like the price dropped to 98 today on Amazon. I'm tempted to buy and donate my Logitech Revue to a family member who recently cable cut.

Commentary about the "future of GTV aside", I still see a lot of viability in the framework and app support via programs like ViMu, YouTube, Netflix and Plex.

10. ChrisG8

I can get Hulu Plus and HBOGo, both good services, by having Google TV as clients at all three HDTVs in house and a single PC server in house. At least there is a way to get everything I need using Google TV. I can't get a web browser or HDMI input with overlay merging traditional TV with internet TV using Roku or Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV no matter what I do. I am not aware of a single internet streaming source I want and don't have access to with my set up. Roku and Chromecast and the others sit unused in my house basically, nothing against those boxes but a three year old Google TV provides access to everything, no switching HDMI inputs, no switching remotes, using a full sized keyboard for searches. The other boxes can't do those things.

11. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

What I wish is that Google once and for all in the next Google I/O, that is coming up in two weeks, release the new "Android-TV" to really end with this uncertainty...

However, my biggest complaint is with SONY, who have said absolutely nothing about the Jelly-Bean Upgrade and also have been very quiet for months ... As if the NSZ-GS7/GS8 not exist!!

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

Right. I have aVia, ES File Exploror, ViMu and Soul Movie TV downloaded, and that's actually more than I could ever need; especially with updates of these media player apps.

13. ChrisG8

That is the way I use Google TV, I never expected it to run tablet and phone apps. Stream media, bring traditional TV together with internet TV and handle web browsing are the reasons I have it, so those apps are all important to me. The NSZ-GS8 is an improvement over the Logitech Revue but I still use the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard to operate the NSZ-GS8 so although it is better, it sure feels a lot like the Logitech Revue I started using 3 years ago.

14. jonw747

We're all well aware how much you like the device and platform, Chris, and nobody is trying to tell you not to like it; but your tilting at windmills.

I *own* PlayOn and have never used it to stream HBOgo. It's a weapon of last resort, not a good solution.

At this point in time, the Sony GS8 is a dead product ... with a worse outlook than the Revue had when it was being bargain binned.

If it was being sold for under $50, or was hack-a-able - this might have pumped some life back in to it; but alas Sony didn't go there. At least yet.

15. jonw747

All very useful Apps I still use regularly on my GS7, but if someone is finding this thread and wondering whether they should jump on board because of the price drop, I can't in good conscious recommend they do so.

16. ChrisG8

I am not sure what you are comparing it with that makes it dead. Roku doesn't work with HBOGo without using a server/client if you are a Comcast subscriber, there are no boxes as alive as Google TV if you want a complete solution, nothing comes close yet.It can't be made for $100, much less $50, so selling a hackable box at a loss is not a solution, no surprise Sony didn't go there. I buy products to use, not to wait for updates and so far there is nothing else and since the situation has been this way for almost 4 years now, I don't hold hope that product is coming next year. PlayOn/PlayLater works very well with HBOGo assuming a PC with adequate processor power, it isn't just a weapon of last resort, it is in fact a good solution for many of us.

17. ChrisG8

Weird, I wrote that response as 3 paragraphs, posted it and it is condensed to 1 paragraph. This has been happening for a few weeks now using an NSZ-GT1, not sure what setting is causing that. I am using the default browser.

18. gbeardmore

gbeardmore New Member

This is pretty much how I intend to use the GS8 I just ordered. Been limping along my Revue since launch day but it has pretty much pooped out. It now needs to be Factory-Reset about every week or 2 lately. But, when it was working it satisfied virtually all my needs, much like ChrisG8 states. So I just ordered the GS8 at the new, lower price as a replacement. (ChrisG8: Could you point me to the info I'll need to set up the Revue Keyboard with the GS8? 'Preciate it!)

19. ChrisG8

Once again, you keep on repeating this. My point now and has always been, if you want the things Google TV does, merging tradtional TV with internet TV, HDMI overlay, web browser, all into one HDMI input what else is there? I notice you keep on stating not to buy Google TV but have never offered an alternative, I know why, none exist. I am not sure if you are advising those that may want what Google TV does to change their minds, get something else that doesn't do what they want or just to wait. I can say I can make Google TV do what I want, I do it daily, I have seen nothing that makes me think you can do much of anything with Google TV except whine about its status.

20. jonw747

Check your "Message Editor Interface" ... I switched it to "Standard Editor" at some point and that fixed the problem for me.