Quantcast

Alternatives to GTV/Revue for Internet TV?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by drdigital1, Nov 11, 2011.

1. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

I bought the Revue (2 of them) as a wife-friendly alternative to HTPC with 2 objectives in mind:
    a. View Internet TV (e.g., ESPN3.com and international TV) on big screen TV
    b. Have a wife-friendly user interface (as compared to my HTPC)
    The Revue was awesome until the content providers updated flash and the Revue did not, at which point the HTPC went back in service and the Revue was turned off. I believe that with HC update nothing comes close to the capabilities of GTV/Revue for Internet TV with friendly user interface (and this is why I am so upset about the fact that the Revue has been abandoned by Logitech). Maybe the Boxee box, but their browser seems very limited.
    So what do you think about alternatives to GTV/Revue for Internet TV?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

Zotac ZBOX is indeed very nice but it is a HTPC after all. GTV has a much friendlier user interface and I was wondering if there anything else close to it.

4. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Take a look at Samsung SmartTVs - It has an easy UI and you can install applications from the Samsung market. I just bought one for my mother. She is already able to use it as a DNLA client to stream movies that I downloaded to her laptop. Go to a local electronics store, like Best Buy, and ask one of the salesman to demo it for you.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of products for internet TV, I haven't read about anything I think looks as good as Google TV. The lack of a current version of Flash with the Revue should be solved in the near future, until then I can watch ESPN3 using a PC and use the Revue for everything that works with the Revue now. If you must have everything Google TV covers plus the sites requiring an updated Flash version, and must have it right now, I can't think of anything that looks capable. I don't think a Samsung smart TV when you don't need a TV is a very good solution.

6. CatfishRivers

Nothing is quite like the Revue - but I would like to mention that perhaps the Amazon Kindle Fire connected to a TV would be interesting. It was just announced today that the Kindle Fire will have Hulu+. The Kindle Fire is supposed to be available starting next week.

Also I would like to mention the possibility of connecting the Acer Chromebook to a TV. I believe it's the Acer Chromebook that comes with the HDMI port.

And last I'd like to mention that there was an ongoing thread in the 'off-topic' section of this forum about android set-top boxes from China. This could be another possible alternative: Here's the link for that thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/1907-android-tv-set-top-box-passes-fcc.html

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. LadyAngler

LadyAngler Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmm...I don't know how we will be able to achieve the connection though since the Kindle Fire has no HDMI out????

8. CatfishRivers

You are correct the Kindle Fire has no HDMI out. However on this thread from Amazon (see below) - it is mentioned that a USB to HDMI converter might work. Amazon support also mentioned in a post that they will tell the programmers/developers that it's been requested that the Kindle Fire has the functionality to connect to the TV. So after it hits the market it might be worth researching it further if that's something that you're interested in.

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: HDMI Out

9. CatfishRivers

Upon further research I came across the Vizio VTAB1008 tablet - which might be even a better alternative than the Kindle Fire (current version). The Kindle Fire does not play videos in HD. The Vizio tablet has the HDMI port and HD video playback capability. The Vizio web site currently lists this tablet for only $269.99. Here's the link to the Vizio web site with their VTAB1008 tablet:

VTAB1008 | VIZIO

• Like Like x 2
  10. CatfishRivers

Archos has an 8" tablet that runs Android 3.2 and is in the same approx. price range as the Vizio tablet. The Vizio tablet currently runs android 2.3. The Vizio is actually about $30 less than the Archos on Amazon. The Archos also has HDMI port and HD video playback. The Archos tablet has a 1 GHz dual-core Intel processor and the Vizio tablet has a 1 GHz ARM processor.

Amazon.com: Archos 80 G9 501897 8 GB 8-Inch Tablet: Computers & Accessories

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Hah! That's the same Vizio 8" Tablet that some of us have been talking about in randoms posts in these forums. I think the only thing that's holding LadyAngler from buying one is the lack of Custom/Hacked ROMs with root. Though with the processor that they list, I wonder if Netflix and Hulu could actually stream HD on that device through the HDMI port and whether or not it needs to be upscaled for a 1080p display. I dunno, a single core 1Ghz ARM processor doesn't leave a whole lot of room for HDCP and any other protective measures.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That Amazon's listing is absurd. Lol. There's no way to put in a Intel Core Duo & a Texas Instruments OMAP 4 smart multi-core processor into a tablet of that size or price.

13. CatfishRivers

Yes I agree. Must be a misprint on Amazon's part. So would you say that the Archos tablet is a better deal than the Vizio?

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It is hard to say, I think the IR blaster and the universal remote program will be the "killer app" for the Vizio but $30 for an extra core on the Archos isn't bad either especially since we know the CPU is Netflix 1080p certified. Unfortunately, I've not have the opportunity to play with either of these devices, so I can't give a honest recommendation over one or the other.

15. LadyAngler

LadyAngler Moderator Staff Member

Lol , if it ever gets rooted that Vizio is mine!

@Cat, thanks for the info. I do hope that might work for me. I will also have to be get a Bluetooth transmitter for my headphones and a Bluetooth speaker I have for outside use.

Hmmm...by the time I buy all these extras I could have probably gotten a tablet that had everything I needed. Lol
    But, I do still want the Fire. :)

~¤~Sent by a Bolt aka Angry Bird Slayer~¤~

16. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

android based media palyers pooping all the time . some near exact spec to revue ..

h**p://androidforums.com/google-tv/

17. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

I wasn't aware of this forum but I came away very impressed.
    I think that the Revue, with a decent level support, would be second to none (until the hardware can't keep up anymore).
    With dismal/non-existing support from Google and Logitech, respectively, I can think of 2 ways to get decent support:
    1. Strong community e.g., xda-developers.com or androidforums.com
    2. A company (from among those trying to get into the business of GTV boxes) taking over the product maintenance.
    I am confident the Revue owners would support either approach, if they see commitment and quality.

18. GadgetBP

GadgetBP New Member

Take a look at the LG ST600 Smart TV Upgrader, which is a set top device that uses your smartphone as the keyboard.

19. FA1321

FA1321 New Member

Support from a community can work its been done in the past as an example there is a Dj company Dj Tech Tools that built itself by providing hacks/support for a controller from Vestax they just would not let that midi controller die they provided firmware updates modding tips even overlays to add arcade buttons & firmware updates. I bet it could be done with the Revue but someone said the Harmony aspect of this device may be a challenge because that code is Logitechs bread & butter.

20. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

Bah - i lost my post. *curses*

The Archos Gen9's do have the TI OMAP 4 - though I believe they are 512MB of RAM currently. Rumor was the turbo ones would have 1 GB - we'll see though. They Gen 8 devices only have 256. I have a Gen 8 running Froyo. it will play about anythign under the sun and has HDMI out. One of the previous firmware builds included a media pack with additional codec's, but if you use Moboplayer or somethign similar, just about anything should play.

A good forum on the archos devices is here - Forum.ArchosFans.com - Index page