Quantcast

Alternate Browser?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by guest, Feb 5, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

As you can see here, Online pdf converter, clicking "Choose File" will display the message "Files Not Supported" on a Google TV.

I'm not looking to convert a document into a PDF, but am in need of utilizing this technology (File Support) on a Google TV (Logitech Revue). I don't have a computer, but someone that does can see how this File Support works.

My question is: Is there another browser that will work with a Google TV, such that this File Support technology is accessible? There have been a few posts made regarding alternate browsers for use with Google TV. I don't know if these alternate browsers were in the form of an application, or what. Has anyone had success using a browser other than the one "factory-installed"?

I need to be able to send documentation to a company via their website. On that website, I've run into this "Choose File"/"Files Not Supported" dilemma. I was planning on buying a Chromebook at some time in the future. I don't want to have to buy one just for this issue!

Help! All suggestions welcomed!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It has been reported that Dolphin browser can be sideloaded. Also the Maxthon browser can be sideloaded via a direct download link from their web site. These alternatives were discussed in the following thread about alternate browsers:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/3689-free-browsers-google-tv.html

I'm not sure if they would work for your PDF problem. I kind of doubt it but it might be worth a try. The big problem with any alternate browser installed on GTV is that Flash doesn't function. This is because of the unique way in which Flash is baked directly into the GTV OS.

I did find Maxthon useful for playing some "hidden" video streams. (Video streams that stream on a popular mobile video codec). I posted about those videos available with Maxthon browser in the Project Free TV thread.

Here is a link to those posts about the Maxthon browser in the Project Free thread for those that are interested:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/search.php?searchid=647815

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. guest

guest Active Member

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

No I haven't tried it - but if I was a betting man I'd bet the house that it won't play Flash on GTV -:)

The issue in previous testing was not that the alternate browser versions tested didn't support Flash - but the issue (as I mentioned previously) is that Flash is baked into the GTV OS (unlike Flash on other mobile devices). This is why even if the Dolphin browser supports Flash - it (Flash) won't work "specifically" on GTV devices.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. guest

guest Active Member

I had to uninstall that Dolphin Browser. I had downloaded an orientation app, but couldn't figure out how the browser worked. Besides, it was freezing up. And when I tried to uninstall it, due to the faulty orientation issue, I couldn't (!), because the spot that I was supposed to click was obscured! I was about to do a factory reset. After 15 minutes, I was able to maneuver to a page where the uninstall link wasn't obscured. Not a good experience.