Quantcast

All working, BUT TV gives me only sound and no picture...

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by azure, Nov 12, 2011.

1. azure

azure New Member

Hey everyone,

just set up my Google TV / Logitech Revue today. So far so good, but I have trouble with my FiOS TV, which gives me only sound but no picture...

Setup:
    Sony KDL-55NX720
    Sony BDV-HZ970W
    FiOS TV Motorola QIP-7323 2 HDMI IN

Sometimes I swear I see a glimpse of a picture coming through (e.g., when restarting all devices), and once I was able to see TV picture along with the sound for a few seconds, until a blue box appeared whole screen (talking about limited HD content - unable to recapture it), and then the picture was gone again...

Please help! :)

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the picture from your FiOS TV Motorola QIP-7323 through the Logitech Revue then it is probably due to an issue with the HDCP handshake. Best thing to do is to try different cables since a flaky connection will cause the symptoms you're describing. However, this is assuming that you can see the picture from the Logitech Revue such as the home screen, Netflix, etc.

3. azure

azure New Member

Thank you - your descriptions is correct. I changed the cable, but it only worsened the situation since the sound is now choppy. So I will probably switch back. Any other ideas?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It definitely sounds like it is the cable, or that the set-top box is has some HDCP limitations preventing you from using the Revue. I would try other HDMI cables, perhaps exchanging the one you're using between the TV-Revue with the Revue-Settopbox.

5. azure

azure New Member

Hey eferz, thank you so much. I still think the error is of a different nature: Now I finally was able to capture the error message and had 10 seconds of TV picture before it again turned dark: "the hd content protection of your repeater has been compromised".

I also found this thread which even seems to have a solution. But I am still not able to find out what exactly needs to be fixed. Do I need a different cable?

Not allowed to post links yet (post count <10), so here we go...

forums.logitech.com/t5/Accessories-and-Applications/Repeater-Error/td-p/573484

6. azure

azure New Member

Ok, I think I got it. 1) STB - Revue - TB (via HDMI) and separately 2) Revue - Home Theater (via Optical) should fix the issue.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, as I said the symptoms you are experiencing is indicative of an High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) issue. The problem is if your set-top box cannot establish a HDCP handshake across all of the device in the HDMI chain then it will disrupt the output.

This can be caused by a flaky cable, restrictive provider firmware (example in the thread that you linked), or a faulty set-top box. The only one that you can resolve is try different set of HDMI cables or work around the issue by using a Component (YPbPr) & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter to avoid any HDCP or HDMI protocol issues stemming from your set-top box.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, if the issue is that your provider imposed an HDCP restriction on the depth of devices in the HDMI chain. Comcast is notorious for enforcing a two device threshold. I wasn't aware that Verizon did the same thing.

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Since you're getting sound (no Video) & ur Sony Home theater has a built-in HDMI-repeater!

Try this,

First, Connect.... STB > HDMI > TV & turn them "On".

A - From TV [Settings/Home Menu] > [Channels & Inputs] > [HDMI Settings] > [Control for HDMI] &Turn "OFF" all [Control for HDMI]... (for now!)

B - From STB Box-front-panel turn it "OFF" then immediately press "menu" key twice, settings-on-screen menu should display on TV (write down all settings before any changes) & ONLY Change [YPbPr Output] to 720p, then turn it "Off" & back "On" to save the changes.

Now,

1 - Turn off all connected devices and unplug all connected HDMI cables as well as Power-cords from electric outlets.
    2- wait 15 min.
    3- Connect HDMI Cables... STB > HDMI > Sony-HT > HDMI > Revue > HDMI > TV.
    4- First Plug-in Power-cords then turn "On" devices (in this order) TV > Revue > HT > STB.
    5- Connect Optical cable ...Revue > Optical digital audio cable> SonyHT

If no Video, try again step #1 thru #4 and change step #3 (#5 not needed):
    #3- Connect HDMI Cables... STB > HDMI > Revue > HDMI > SonyHT > HDMI > TV.

If still no Video, try again step #1 thru #4 and change step #3:
    #3- Connect HDMI Cables... STB > HDMI > Revue > HDMI > TV.
    5- Revue > Optical digital audio cable> SonyHT
    6- STB > Coax digital audio cable > SonyHT

u can always connect them separately, as follow:
    STB > HDMI > SonyHT > HDMI> TV
    Revue > HDMI > SonyHT > HDMI> TV.

Or, u may look for a Component-Video to HDMI Converter-Box (it could be problematic, but it may work).
    STB > Video-Converter-Box > Revue > HDMI > SonyHT > HDMI > TV
    STB > Coax digital audio cable > SonyHT
    Revue > Optical digital audio cable> SonyHT

Good Luck!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011