Quantcast

All my devices are incompatible, seriously?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by profet, Apr 6, 2013.

1. profet

profet New Member

So, everything worked perfectly with my Logitech Revue remote. My Technika Smartbox 8320HD freeview box could be controlled from the keyboard remote (including the full PVR functionality).

I excitedly plugged in my new Sony NSZ-GS7 and it all went down hill from there.

Firstly, my freeview box isn't supported. I finally managed to find another device that half worked. I can't turn the box on or off, but I can change channel at least.

My Roth soundbar also isn't supported and I can't find work-around.

Seriously? I had no problems with the Revue - it could be manually programmed with remote commands. Is there no manual workaround for the Sony box?

Pretty disappointed with this - I think its going to have to go back.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have both Google TV boxes as well, everything I own can be controlled by either but it has always been clear to me that the Logitech Revue offers the best control of other devices. I don't know whether any of the devices you mention are very well known but I sure know I have never heard of any of them so I won't be surprised if the Sony box can't control them. In 3 rooms, I have three Google TV boxes and I have 3 Yamaha AV receivers, LG and Vizio displays and TiVos, all Google TV boxes control everything adequately but the Logitech Revue offers the most complete and best control of everything. I even use the Logitech K700 keyboard with all three systems.

If it is as it appears, your equipment is way out of the mainstream, I don't know why you would be surprised if it isn't controlled by an inexpensive streaming box.

3. profet

profet New Member

Hi ChrisG8,

Thanks for the reply. I think the reason I assumed it would just work with the equipment I had, is simply that the Revue worked fine with it all. I figured that the Sony box, being newer, but running the same OS would have the same or more functionality.

I also had the nieve belief that Android, being an open source, very customisable platform, would give the flexability t solve problems like these. My Android phones and tablets all run custom firmwares for example.

My equipment isn't all that niche either - the Technika Smartbox 8320hd was from Tescos, as was the Roth soundbar. I figure since every big tescos store stocked both for at least two years, that a few other people would have bought them too. Besides, how hard is it for Sony to add new remote profiles to their database?

Anyhow, the Sony box is going to have to go back, or on ebay, and the revue will be powered up once again. Its a shame, because the Sony remote is great, and the extra power makes Chrome a who lot better.

4. ChrisG8

I will suggest you contact Sony and inform them you can't control the devices you own, mention specific model numbers, if you haven't already done that. As things stand now I consider the Sony NSZ-GS7 a modest upgrade to the Logitech Revue. I think eventually apps designed specifically for the ARM processor used with the Sony box will make it much better but if that is going to happen, it is happening slowly. I think the Sony remote looks great but I don't have the patience to get the hang of using a small qwerty keypad so I bought additional Logitech K700 keyboards to use with other Google TV models and may never use the Sony remote.

Although I doubt it, Sony may offer hope your devices will be added to the list of devices controlled by its Google TV models so it can't hurt to file a customers service report. I tend to buy mainstream devices to make the chances everything works together as I want, much greater but I venture away when something sounds great. I briefly read about the Technika 8320HD and Fetch TV service, it appears to me it is he definition of niche product, lasted a year or two and discontinued with little or no support offered now. It also sounded like a great idea.

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the boxes handled controlling other devices differently either, but each OEM can enhance the product, and certainly Logitech has a lot of experience with designing universal remote controls.

6. ChrisG8

Logitech left the others in the dust with their Harmony technology in my opinion. Still with mainstream devices to be controlled, the others do well enough that it isn't a big issue for me.

7. Tracy

Tracy New Member

I also started my GoogleTV adventure with the Logitech unit, and have thus been spoiled when it comes to controlling devices with GTV. I was appalled at the anemic single IR blaster that came with the ASUS Cube. The Sony GT7 at least recognized the DirecTV box and Samsung screen in my home office, but I have not tried it in my home theater (where the Revue unit rules) with all its varied gear.

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Don't count Logitech out as far as future devices are concerned. Yeah, they lost a lot investing in this endeavor. But the peripherals for these devices are still selling. And now that folks are realizing the K700 and other KBs work not only w/GTV but w/their computers, hey...They ain't stupid.

I've seen posts that express incredulity at the fact that Logitech offered a replacement for GTV compatible webcams. Have ya'll all lost yer minds. As much as I criticized Logitech for dropping the revue, I also realize that they have never dropped Customer Service Support for this device. And the folks ya connect w/know this device! Can't say the same for any of the new devices.

Ya call Vizio for some of the slightest problems and they would rather send ya a new device then give ya advice that would fix the problem. Call Pulse CSR and they just listen to yer problem and ask you to tell them the basics of the system. Then you have that disturbing limited service warning. 90 or 60 days. I don't recall exactly and in honesty don't really care.

Logitech has actually supported their GTV device better than any of the companies out there to date. Anybody tried the ASUS Cube CS support yet? One of the shocks I got years earlier was calling MSNTV 2 support. The CSR simply refused to believe the device had shipped out. They didn't even have the support sys set up after it was shipped!

Carl

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's too bad that the GTV OS still doesn't natively support webcams. If it did then some of Logitech's webcam line of products would be nice GTV periperals - and they could then be used with any of the GTV devices. As it stands now - any company making a camera peripheral for GTV would have to do so in cooperation with the GTV device hardware manufacturer - as a special add-on.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013