Quantcast

All bookmarks wiped out

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Lbb, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Lbb

Lbb New Member

After turning on the GS7 today, there was a Force Close when trying to open Chrome. Afterwards I found that my dozens of bookmarks had disappeared. (All History -- and the auto-fill suggestions when using Google -- were gone too.) Losing the bookmarks was one thing I was not expecting. Any idea what happened? Just an internal electrical event like when my old answering machine loses all its stored messages?

I did not have "sync bookmarks to Chrome" enabled.

2. retroben

retroben Active Member

I don't know what to say other than don't overload your bookmarks.

If you get all of your bookmarks back manually,turn on sync bookmarks long enough for it to store them all and then turn sync off again.

3. Lbb

Lbb New Member

How many would be considered an overload? I don't think it could have been that, but who knows?

I'd been using bookmarks to stash pages found in an ongoing research project, which I'd intended to return to -- I'll probably never be able to retrieve most of those. I wish I'd synched them, but I tend to sign in and out of several different Gmail/Google accounts and I'm not clear on how that works. If I want a bookmark synched, do I have to be signed in to a Google account at that time and will it get synched to that particular account? Or does it automatically get synced to the Google account I used to sign up with Google TV?

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

Good question. I've never had to test this, but this situation is one of the reasons I use https://www.symbaloo.com/ for massive "bookmark archives," and only keep a handful of often-used websites in the "GoogleTV bookmarks." Also, setting-up a web-based "Chrome homepage" like "My MSN" is a good way to manage often-used bookmarks.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Your bookmarks are stored via the Chrome browser, not the box. An example of this: I was on my PC in Chrome and noticed I had too many bookmarks on my Favorites bar. I cleared a few out instead of just moving the bookmark to 'Other Bookmarks.' When I went back to my GS-7, the bookmarks I deleted on my PC were gone.

One way to check to see if you can get your bookmarks back is to Log into Chrome on another device/PC. If your bookmarks are still there then you should be able to get them back by simply deleting your acct on the box & reentering it. The bookmarks should show up again. Just make sure all yer apps are properly synced.

A factory reset could also bring up your bookmarks since they are still synced but Chrome on your GTV device just dropped the ball.

But no guarantees...

Carl

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  6. Lbb

Lbb New Member

Thanks for the ideas. I have noticed one interesting thing. I had saved two or three bookmarks to All Apps as well as to Bookmarks. And the bookmarks in All Apps are still there.

I was wondering if an inadverdent Factory Reset had caused this in the first place. But apparently not, since settings in general don't seem to have changed. (Also, pdfs/files I've opened are still listed in Downloads.)

7. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, two things would have happened if the system went into a factory reset by itself: 1) Yes, your "bookmarks" (AKA "shortcuts") would have been wiped-out in the "All Apps " section and 2) you would have had to go through a new, post-Factory Reset "set-up," and you certainly would be aware of it if that happened.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014