Quantcast

After Google TV, what?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by jschall, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jschall

jschall Member

My SONY NSZ-GS7 is nearly two years old, out of warranty and out of tech support from Google or SONY. It's still working fairly well, although the built-in Chrome browser is a pain to use. The remote is great, and the ability to stick live TV into a thumbnail while surfing the Internet is something I really appreciate.

So, what will I do when it eventually dies?

Are there any Android TV players or AndroidTV boxes that can overlay live TV on the Internet TV?

What will you look for to replace your dead (or dying) Google TV?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am confident I can continue to make Google TV work for years. So far nothing else does what Google TV does and nothing else has been announced that will replace Google TV for me. Android TV may allow for HDMI input and merging of a traditional TV source with internet TV but I have not seen any products announced that will do that if it is possible. Will the SoC used with Android TV be able to handle HDMI input and bring it all together? I am not sure of the answer but if no company makes that box, it won't matter whether it is capable or not.

As far as a rock solid streaming device without traditional TV integration, I think there are several of those already, Amazon Fire TV, Roku and Apple TV are three I like. The next Roku is supposedly going to handle Netflix 4K but I think a 4K Blu-ray player that does that will make more sense for me. I expect the Roku competition to also offer 4K models soon if it is believed there will be a market.

3. Travel

Travel Active Member

If my own GS7 just stops working, I may try one of the knock-off
    "Android Boxes," because a full browser capability is a top priority for me.

They come with the KiKat API and 2GB RAM now, and you should be able to download just about any app, but stability and support have always been a concern with these boxes. But the way things have been going, any of the" official boxes" seem to become obsolete, or upgrade-challenged in two years or less, anyway. For the low price of the knock-off boxes, it seems worth the try..

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not even remotely the market for the no name Android mini PCs often called "Android TV" but I am using an AMLogic S802 box and have read a lot about the others. As far as I can tell, none of them are even close to worth owning for the mainstream streaming sources, Netflix, HBO GO, Amazon Prime, etc. The result when trying is always the same, pathetic performance or won't even work period, and no 1080p. The boxes are capable of better but Netflix won't send 1080p to the devices, unless some spoof method is used to make Netflix think it is a secure device, with locked down bootloader. I don't think this issue is because of the box manufacturer or Netflix really, the content owners probably require it. Google TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, and Apple TV all offer far better quality with the mainstream services.

In general video performance is sub par, despite a CPU that should be capable of better. I don't know enough about XBMC to state whether or not the boxes shine in that area but I think they are very capable with XBMC although I don't know if it is preferred to use Android, Linux or ubuntu for XBMC. I joined Freaktab and have been reading about custom ROMs and modified firmware options. I get the feeling without those guys, these things would have been dead long ago, none of the manufacturers seem to have support staff capable of handling firmware needs.

As an inexpensive Android PC, running web browsers, Android apps, and other traditional PC tasks, I like mine a lot although I didn't need it for that. I also didn't need it for streaming but the official Android TV products don't interest me yet and I wanted something to play with, for that purpose it is pretty cool.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Xbox One has the HDMI overlays and I've heard good things about it - however it costs quite a bit more than a set-top box. If you want to get an Android TV device I'd wait for the Forge TV from Razer because the specs are much better than the Nexus Player (even though the Forge TV doesn't come with a remote for the $99). If the Chrome browser (and Flash support) is one of your top priorities then a Chromebox could also be an alternative worth considering. (Along those lines there are now several inexpensive Windows mini-PCs available).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  6. jschall

jschall Member

7. Travel

Travel Active Member

Basically, Google, with AndroidTV, wants to totally get away from GoogleTV, because they think that dumbing down the device to make it similar to AppleTV, Roku and FireTV, will make their AndroidTV sell better.

So, they took out the browser and overlay/pass through.
    Dumbest thing I've ever seen in the realm of devices. They should have just re-branded the name as AndroidTV, and, okay, simplified the home page and made it apps-oriented, but left the best things about GoogleTV intact.

Users could customize the home page with a launcher app, later.

8. galfert

galfert Active Member

I side loaded Chrome onto my Nexus Player. No hacking required. I paired it with a Bluetooth mini keyboard with touchpad. Works well.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks, that's encouraging. Did you need a PC to side load the Chrome Browser?

10. guest

guest Active Member

Yes, Galfert's approach is the future. Or this Amazon.com Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-111-C670 11.6-inch HD 2GB 16GB Computers Accessories and this http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-USB-100Mbps-Adapter-TU2-ET100/dp/B00007IFED and this http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Unifying-receiver-mouse-keyboard/dp/B0058OU8VY
    and this, if You're into Skype sebdroid skype-chromeos GitHub . Maybe some other items are needed. When push comes to shove, everything will click into place. I haven't purchased any of these items yet.

A lot of wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth on this subject. I'm as concerned as the OP, though. But excellent solutions already exist for moving PAST this GoogleTV deadend, which was an advancement beyond two earlier deadends - MSNTV and WebTV.

11. Travel

Travel Active Member

Excellent tip on the ethernet, USB adapter for the Chromebook.

An original model of the Acer Chromebook, when they first came out, came with a built-in ethernet port, but that was phased out with upgraded models; all the newer models just have WiFi. This adapter solves that problem.