Quantcast

After commercials, my program doesn't auto continue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by meFTW, Nov 16, 2011.

1. meFTW

meFTW New Member

Hi I have a very annoying problem with Logitech's Revue!

When I watch a certain program a 15 second commercial runs in between my show which I'm totally fine with, however at the end of the AD my program refuses to continue my show from where I left off!!!! This is so very annoying. What I eventually have to do is restart my show the beginning of the episode and fast forward to where I left off, skipping the specific part of the show where the commercial was ran. I don't want to have to do this for every episode! Why won't my show continue smoothly after running the commercial? I have tried to press "play" after the commercial, or "fast forward" and practically every logical button I pressed to get it to just go but nothing works. Please someone help me find a solution to this!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Is this with a particular app, website, or your HDMI input device? It may just be an issue to the specific viewing option which may or may not be addressed in an upcoming update. It might also need to be addressed by the respective developer, website, or manufacturer.

3. meFTW

meFTW New Member

I believe it must be some sort of APP with the Revue itself because it acts like a DVR where all of the epiodes of the show are provided and I click between different episodes, so in a sense it's like a library provided by Revue.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Which app are you referring to; is it Netflix? Queue for Podcasts? How about stepping us through the menu system that you use to access these episodes so that we better understand your situation?

5. meFTW

meFTW New Member

okay, In the homepage there's a category called "Spotlight" and the channel I'd like to view is Anime Tv (nerdy xD but still T_T) and this issue follows all shows under this channel. I can click on an episode to view it and it will start with a commercial (fine by me) and it'll resume to episode after the AD which is what I want all through out the show. 15 minutes in, the episode will halt and prompt another AD for about 15-30 seconds which is cool but after the AD my show completely ends and it doesn't resume from where it left off.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ah, okay. The Spotlight app just is a fancy Really Simple Syndication (RSS) reader. It propagates those website links from Google's RSS server for Google TV. The links on these sites are supposed to be optimized for television viewing. So, the "Anime TV" option is actually a link to the adrise.tv/animetv website. It automatically opens Chrome and takes you to that Universal Resource Locator (URL).

It looks like that website is hosting their videos with the Flash movie player with some Actionscripts that toggles ads in between different segments of the show. I went ahead and started the last episode of Angelic Layer to see if I can duplicate your symptoms on my Sony Internet TV with the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update. Although, I largely suspect that the problem is an incompatibility with the Flash code and the Flash 10.1 software on the Revue. You might have to wait for your Revue to be updated in order to get consistent results and watch the episodes entirety.

P.s., RSS originally stood for Resource Description Framework (RDF) Site Summary, but for explanation purposes I decided to use the layman's acronym definition.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Okay, I was able to watch the entire episodes with some peculiarity. I noticed that during a couple of the commercial breaks the the anime frame just before would freeze but the audio from the advertisement would play. So, I was only able to listen to the audio of the advertisement while the looking at the last frame of the anime. However, when the advertisement timer ran out, the movie would resume normally.

Most likely the web developer hasn't fully fledged out their Flash code, otherwise I would be able to watch the video and audio advertisements during the commercial breaks. I expect this problem with the code is affecting you much more severely which is why you're not able to watch it completely.

8. meFTW

meFTW New Member

Okay so do you have any suggestion with fixing this? I kind of get the problem but I am unclear on whether or not this is out of my hands. Do I have to wait for hopefully an update on this bug? Or is there something I can do to help my problem? Sorry I'm not so smart with these kind of things but thank you for explaining to me what's going on

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The problem is two fold but there's little that you can do. One; you'll have to wait until the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update has been released for the Revue. And the other, you'll have to wait for the web developer fix their Flash code. At this point, your only option is to be "the squeaky wheel" and hope both parties "oil you up". Awww, yeah. I said it. Bow chicka bow wow.

10. trevmar

trevmar New Member

The 'ClassicalTV' app on my Revue also inserts an advert every 30 minutes, and terminates the movie playing. I also discovered I needed to restart the movie each time, and skip ahead past the 30minute and 1 hour marks...

So is the Logitech Revue becoming a lemon around GoogleTV's neck? This behavior is really unacceptable, IMO. There seems to be no way to subscribe to Classical TV to skip the ads, either...

Where is Cyanogenmod when you need them :) :) :) :) LOL...

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Again, as mentioned before the items in the Spotlight app are URL links fed by Google's RSS feed for Google TV. The "Classical TV" item goes to the (adrise.tv/classicaltv/) webpage which is the same website for "Anime TV" (adrise.tv/animetv/), "The New Content" (adrise.tv/thenewcontent/), and "Watch Mojo" (adrise.tv/watchmojo/). I suspect the adrise.tv uses the same messed up Flash code to present their all their advertisements. Therefore, you should submit feedback to the website developer.

You cannot really expect bad Flash programming from a single website developer to be either Google or Logitech's fault.

12. trevmar

trevmar New Member

I can, and do, expect more from Google/Logitech.
    I didn't add the 'Spotlight' "ClassicalTV." It was present on my screen as a result of a Google/Logitech decision to 'bundle'. I expect Google/Logitech to at least maintain the quality control of developers whose products they 'bundle' with products containing the 'Google TV' branding. Non-geeks tend to think in these strange ways, I am afraid. The lack of understanding of the larger market is, after all, why Google TV has been failing, and so many Logitech Revues have been returned...

13. adrise

adrise New Member

We're looking into the behavior of the apps after someone alerted us to this behavior. We'll try to provide a fix as soon as possible.

-adRise team

• Like Like x 2
  14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, adrise team. I hope there are those other than myself whom appreciate your efforts in these matter. However, I doubt it though since it seems ignorant people will remain ignorant.

15. adrise

adrise New Member

I think we've resolved the issue. Let us know if it still persists or you notice anything else. For future reference, we can reached at supportAtadriseDotCom

Karol -- thanks for notifying us of the bug.

• Like Like x 2
  16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sure, thanks for your support.

17. trevmar

trevmar New Member

Hi, I have a Logitech Revue, with current software on it. I just tested your fixes by playing "Kit and The Widow" from the "Classical TV" channel. The video froze at 30:52 minutes into the event. Previously an advertisement was inserted at this point, and then the video would not restart, but now there is no advertisement inserted, however the video just freezes and can't be woken without restarting it from the main menu.

18. adrise

adrise New Member

We checked the file and it played fine for us at the point that you mentioned on several different computers on different networks. Is it possible that you've cached a prior version before we made the fix yesterday?

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I played the "Kit and Widow: The Goose is Getting Fat" from the "Popular Music Section" of http://adrise.tv/classicaltv/ on both Android 2.1 (Revue) and the Android 3.1 (Sony NSX-24GT1). The Revue's experience played without a hitch. The three comercial breaks played as expected and returned to the program appropriately. The Sony NSX-24GT1 did not play as expected. The advertisement break @ 00:24:43 played fine, however, the subsequent commercials @ 00:56:21 & 01:27:07 did not play. Instead the program paused the frame and the advertisement's audio played for the entire duration of the countdown for the ad timer in the lower left hand corner of the screen. The program did continue after the counter expired though.

20. trevmar

trevmar New Member

I don't know how the Revue works, whether there is any cloud caching, but the power cord to the Revue was unplugged at least once between last weekend and Wednesday... I was able to view the whole video on my computer from the ClassicalTV website, but I know that is irrelevant to debugging this current problem with the Revue Spotlight content...