Quantcast

Adobe Flash Version 11.2 Will Be The Last Version For Linux

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 30, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Adobe has already discontinued new Flash update versions for mobile devices. Now I was just looking around the Adobe web site and came across the following information:

"NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux."

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect

Not good news for Google IMO because Chrome OS is based on Linux. And Flash is built into the Chrome browser. The alternative HTML5 is not ready for prime time yet. Most new apps will be in HTML5 - however the problem is that GTV doesn't have a big enough user base to attract app developers. And on the internet - for just about all web sites that offer streaming videos - Flash is still king and permeates everywhere.

Adobe mentioned that GTV devices are being lumped into the same category as mobile devices.

Because mobile devices have received Flash 11 as their last Flash update - IMO there is still a chance GTV can get Flash 11. However sales of GTV devices have been slow - so the question becomes will Adobe bother with another Flash update for GTV (with the relatively small user base)?

Already PBS has recently updated their web site to Flash 11 - essentially "shutting out" GTV users from streaming content on their site. Will PBS bother with an HTML5 app for GTV? IMO it's doubtful. The relatively small GTV user base probably doesn't justify them bothering to allocate resources for it. The Fox web site is also now requiring Flash 11 - as well as some videos on YouTube.

It's been almost one year since the Honeycomb GTV update - IMO if GTV is to survive than Google needs to step up to the plate and find a way to get these GTV devices updated to Flash 11. Is Google hard at work on an ICS update with Flash 11 for GTV? Who knows.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/adobe-delivers-a-blow-to-google-tv-by-pulling-flash/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

Really old news. As a Linux user and google tv user I am not worried, since I use chrome as my browser. It's said that chrome will be supporting us with a flash support from now on, at least with Linux machines.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

Thanks for your input. Yes Google will use something called the "Pepper" Flash API - for a Flash plug-in with the Chrome browser (running on x86/64 architecture). It does appear that through this method Linux machines using the Chrome browser (with x86/64 systems) will have Flash updates through the Pepper Chrome plug-in. This was explained in the following Adobe blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/...gle-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html

But the GTV Chrome browser is a specially modified version of Chrome - and it's not based on x86. The new GTV devices run ARM architecture. But yes it does seem that you are correct in that Linux machines (on x86/64 systems) running a Chrome browser will have Flash through the plug-in. So I would think that Chromebooks should indeed have Flash updates through the plug-in. However I see no indication as of yet that this Pepper API will be used with the Chrome browser on GTV devices.

In the meantime in case you missed it - in my initial post from this thread - I supplied a link to an article that verifies Adobe is pulling out Flash support for Google TV. By pulling support I mean that Adobe will not supply any new GTV Flash versions beyond Flash 11 (if Indeed Flash 11 ever comes to GTV). Adobe will continue with support for existing Flash versions with bug fixes, security fixes etc for current licensees.. And they will be encouraging the use of Adobe Air apps.

Adobe delivers a blow to Google TV by pulling Flash [UPDATE: Adobe responds] | Digital Trends

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers