Quantcast

Adobe flash ends tomorrow 8.15.2012

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Betaguy, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Betaguy

Betaguy New Member

What are the current plans by GOOGLE TV to replace Adobe Flash?? Since most of the programs and apps run on flash, what and when will apps be updated???
    This is serious stuff people!

2. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

what does that mean? can you give more information. or provide a link of a news article.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here's a link with an explanation.:

Adobe to End New Installs of Flash on Android as of August 15 - Mac Rumors

More and more apps will run on HTML5 - although Flash is still heavily entrenched in the internet. This August 15th deadline applies to android devices (without Flash previously installed) - and they will not be able to download Flash from Google Play Store after August 15th.

GTV doesn't download Flash directly from Google Play - so it doesn't really concern GTV. Flash can only be updated on GTV from an OS update. Google would need to get the GTV version of a Flash update from Adobe and incorporate it into an OS update - and then pass the update along to the GTV manufacturers. The GTV manufacturers would then roll out the update to the end users.

In November Adobe announced that they were discontinuing new Flash version updates for mobile devices (this includes GTV). They will only have new Flash versions for desktop computers going forward. Flash 11 was the last version for mobile. Since Flash 11 is already out for mobile - there is still a chance that GTV will get Flash 11. However that would likely be the last GTV Flash version update. Adobe mentioned they would support versions already released with bug fixes etc.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  4. Betaguy

Betaguy New Member

I note Epix movie Icon is removed from Google Spotlight. I used the Google web browser to go to the Epix site, and everytime I try to stream a movie, the "we see you do not have the latest Flashplayer
    please download here" instruction comes up. And of course if you go to the Adobe site you get a screen saying Chrome is equipped with the latest update. when in fact it isn't. (10.2)
    Following up on this my brother just purchased a new LG HDTV and the internet app which takes you to Epix the same thing happens. Only there is no mention of updating which I assume is because LG
    has developed their own browser . In any case you cannot update that flash either.
    This morning I opened Chrome on my computer and it indicated a problem with an extension plug-in Flash......................so whatever is going on out there, Adobe dropping Flash is causing hiccups
    elsewhere, where my understanding was it was only going to affect Android devices.?? LG contacted me and indicated they cannot offer any Flash dependent apps at this time.

5. Betaguy

Betaguy New Member

6. chikkubhai

chikkubhai New Member

i cannot believe this, we keep listening to songs, watch videos and many websites are not working anymore on our sony google tv. raaga com youtube com for the same reason mentioned. what is the solution? Is there a support email or call number?

why will I recommend our folks to buy this anymore?

7. chikkubhai

chikkubhai New Member

what does this have to do with adobe? Isn't it google update that did not happen correctly? adobe flash update should be backward compatible always, right? so the problem is sony google tv update.

8. Tye

Tye Member

It's important to note that the version of Flash that is baked into our Google TVs is not the normal Android version of Flash, in the same way that the version of Chrome that we have is not the same as the new Chrome that Google released for Android 4.x devices. Google Chrome--and its built-in Flash support--for GTV are ridiculously hacked together pieces of software custom made to work on Google TV.

I don't know what Google's plans are for future Flash/Chrome support on GTV is but this recent announcement doesn't really affect the GTV platform much. I assume we'll still get few updates at a glacial pace.

9. phoenixskyrider

phoenixskyrider New Member

Aren't there any other alternatives that can be installed in place of Adobe Flash Player. I know they are planning to bring HTML5 into use but there must be some other alternatives. For example Shockwave, can't we use that in place of Adobe?

10. madman999

madman999 Member

I hope flash doesn't disappear completely. I am using it to stream video from asian language drama video sites and it works reasonably well.

Sent from Htc Droid Incredible

11. madman999

madman999 Member

Also, under linux, isn't there alternate open source flash plug ins available?

Sent from Htc Droid Incredible

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

13. phoenixskyrider

phoenixskyrider New Member