Quantcast

Adobe Flash 10.1

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Greenenergyassessors, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

Has anyone contacted Sony about the lack of Flash version 11. Version 10.1 is so poor and will not allow live streaming. If anyone knows any different. I'd be very grateful.

I've tried to email and use customer services, but their lack of response just speaks volumes.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

All GTV devices are currently on Flash 10.2.

I'm not sure what live streaming you are trying to watch - but in general live streaming can be watched with Flash 10.2 (unless the specific web site requires Flash 11 for the stream).

The Flash version that is on GTV devices is not dependent on Sony - but rather Adobe and Google.

The GTV Development Team has commented that they do not plan on updating GTV to Flash 11. Adobe has pulled the plug on Flash updates for Google TV.

This was mentioned in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/6279-official-request-gtv-issues-flash-11-please-vote.html

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. dailylife

dailylife New Member

Except this issue there is another problem; I have a subscription to a platform that I can watch live streaming via chrome browser on my sony nsz-gs7, it is a flash based octoshape product as far as I know and it is very good quality, but when I switch it to full screen mode, after less than a minute or so it stops playing!

is there anybody having this problem or any solution to this?

it is very annoying and out of goal to buy this product. I trusted the brand names as "google" and "sony" but it is going to be a big disappointment :(

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

What service are you using and have you tried changing the user agent to generic or something other than default?

6. dailylife

dailylife New Member

I dont know what you mean with service but it is a website (https://www.digiturkplay.com.tr) if you login as free user there is a test option that you can test it.

I did not try to change the user agent, how to change it and what value?

7. CatfishRivers

On this diagnostic help web page from the web site that you mentioned (see link below) - it says that Microsoft Silverlight is required to stream the videos. It also mentioned that the site is not compatible with the GTV "Unix" OS. Unfortunately GTV does not support Microsoft Silverlight. There is no way to install it on GTV devices. I doubt that GTV will ever support Microsoft Silverlight:

Media Wizard

(Changing the GTV user agent will make no difference if the streams require Microsoft Silverlight).

• Like Like x 2
  8. dailylife

dailylife New Member

no man, there is test link on the right bottom corner and if you have a free subscription you can test it and aside silverlight option there is another option that you can switch to it and it is flash based octoshape product(very good product because my internet connection has max 8mb/s capasity and it is like HD and very stabil) and as I said I can watch with no problem if not full screen. also test link is not as good as live broadcasting, but the problem is when I switch to full screen mode some seconds later it stops playing

9. CatfishRivers

Sorry I don't have a free subscription because the site is not in English and I don't understand Turkish. Do those videos stream in the USA? IMO the situation that you mention is probably just a glitch with the way GTV handles the web stream. I don't think there is much that can be done to fix it - however I suggest giving this a try:

Go to Chrome settings and then "Under The Hood". Then go to Adobe Flash Settings, then Global Storage Settings Panel and then uncheck the box that says "Store Common Flash Components To Reduce Download Times". (This is how I do it on my Logitech Revue - I don't own the Sony NSZ-GS7 so the procedure might be slightly different on that device). But just look for the Adobe Flash Settings from your Chrome settings.

10. dailylife

dailylife New Member

thnx for trying help, I tried as you said about Adobe Flash Settings but no difference. I think this product is not good enough nowadays and also for a few years maybe, because almost all broadcast are based on adobe flash and microsoft silverlight and it looks like it will be the same for a few years more, and unfortunately this product does not support both!

11. ChrisG8

I would say at this point, a huge majority of sites using Adobe Flash can be played by Google TV. I don't recall the last time I got the message I needed a new version of Flash but of course I continue to use sites I know work well. I think a list of about a dozen sites requiring Adobe Flash 11 would cover all I have ever seen and a list I can play with 10.2 would be about a hundred. The move away from Adobe Flash has to happen so I don't see this as a huge issue requiring all of the complaining.

12. dailylife

dailylife New Member

I don't agree with you! In my opinion, If you don't implement the updates for a product it means you do not support it all!

If I can not watch it in full screen then why did I buy it? so I think I have a right to complain about it. I am clear about the silverlight issue because i have known that it does not support it while I was buying it, but adobe flash issue is a real issue because I could not find anything about there would be a full screen problem!

13. ChrisG8

You have the right to complain about whatever you want. Sliverlight will almost certainly never happen and although it appears very unlikely Adobe Flash will be upgraded to version 11, I would like to see that happen. Probably over a year ago that upgrade was requested by myself and many others, the response was it won't happen so I moved on. I don't know whether it is even possible without Adobe involvement and if Adobe says no, what can Google and the various manufacturers do? No single streaming box can do everything, Google TV omes closest to all of the things I want and by a large margin.

As I stated almost all sites I use requiring Adobe Flash can be played and played in full screen using Google TV. I can't even recall which sites I have attempted to use but was prevented from using because of the issue, not a single one comes to mind but I do know I have seen the error message. Adobe and Google have indicated the issue is dead, Google TV Flash ver. 11 won't happen, not now, not ever and because of that I make do with what I have. Others can choose to whine about the issue from now until the end of time, that won't bother me, I just wanted to offer a realistic perspective on the issue.

14. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Here's what makes me curious. Has anyone ever found a device, not a PC, that actually can play Silverlight? I'm talking Windows compatible devices. Windows mobile devices seem to be lacking. Can Xbox play it? Its got me scratching my head...

I know none of the Webtv/MSNTV 2 devices were compatible. But I've searched high & low on foruums and even called MSN. Is there any device that can play Silverlight??? But, yet, MSN's Silverlight webpage claims that it is supported on a host of devices.

Weird...

Carl

15. dailylife

dailylife New Member

16. CatfishRivers

I tried playing a video from your link and got the following message:

"İçeriklerimiz yalnızca Türkiye içerisinden izlenebilmektedir."

I don't understand Turkish so I'm not sure what that means. Also I'm in the USA. I don't know if that site requires a registration and for user to reside inside Turkey? Sorry I'm not really interested in registering for that site (if that is required). Perhaps someone from Turkey with GTV device can assist you further. Good luck!

17. dailylife

dailylife New Member

thnx for trying, no need to register but as you guess that message says that "Our content can just be watched inside Turkey".

maybe I am the only one in Turkey with this device, because I bought it while I was in USA a few months ago and sony does not distribute this poduct in Turkey as far as I know.