Quantcast

Adobe Flash 10.0 and Silverlight not loaded

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by sportsmom, Nov 29, 2010.

1. sportsmom

sportsmom New Member

I purchased both a Logitech and Sony Google tv units for two different TVs, hoping to watch two of my children play college sports on the college A-Sun network, which is only available on the internet. Unfortunately it says it's missing a plug-in, which A-Sun says is the Adobe Flash 10. Sony and Logitech says it's loaded; A-Sun says it's a different version. Another college website offering internet video said the Sony Google TV needed a Silverlight plug-in. I've bought two units and still can't watch my children on TV - does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks so much.

2. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 New Member

How wonderfully random! We picked up a Sony Google TV box for the same reason for my dad who is a Lipscomb grad and watches their games through the A-Sun network as well. I have an email out to the A-Sun TV administrators and I am awaiting response from them. I hope we can leverage our efforts.

The issue is NOT Flash. These devices are preloaded with Flash 10.X, and you can prove that by visiting YouTube, or by visiting Adobe's flash page. If you can watch YouTube movies through Chrome browser or see the Flash animations on Adobe's page, Flash is not your problem.

After looking through the A-Sun network site, it seems the issue is that their video stream requires not just Flash, but also a Windows Media Player plugin. Such a plugin exists for Firefox, and this same plugin works and installs automatically for Chrome on a Windows PC, but not on this Android Google TV box. Therein lies our problem. I am hoping for a resolution, and actually just found this site in search of that. It may be that Silverlight provides the functionality, but, as a Microsoft product, it is unlikely we'll see support for that.

For others, this is the A-Sun TV network site: https://asun.neulion.com/asc/console.jsp

Their help contact info is: asuntvhelp@neulion.com

And their about page reads: "A-Sun IPTV is determined to offer the largest collection of Atlantic Sun Conference programming distributed through the use of advanced IPTV technology developed by NeuLion. The A-Sun IPTV network is capitalizing on leading edge technology and strategic partnerships to create A-Sun's own global television network."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. sportsmom

sportsmom New Member

I just spoke with A-Sun (1-877-967-3267) and Sony Style support (1-800-222-7669); A-Sun says they can't change their plug-in. What is needed for the video feed is Microsoft Silverlight. Sony Style says they are taking suggestions on what customers want for the next upgrade, which will take place in January or February of 2011. I just posted a request on the Sony forum so they can also pick up the request from there. Right now I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed customers who are purchasing these products so they can watch their children or favorite teams. It's been a very frustrating two weeks trying to figure this out. It you have any other information you can share - please do!

4. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 New Member

The problem I see is that Microsoft and Google aren't exactly best friends. Google probably won't "add" Silverlight and Microsoft probably won't let them, though it's possible. Two things could happen. 1. A-Sun could figure out a way to allow their content to be made available via this product. 2. A third-party developer provides a plugin that supports streaming through the current A-Sun network setup.

#1 seems simpler, since video streaming is done without the need for Silverlight through many, many other sites. I'm not sure why they see the need for WMP control to offer their streaming, but I may very well be missing something.

Long-term, and the simplest solution, the A-Sun network could simply produce a Google TV app. But that will require android development on their part - not that this is too difficult, but it has to be a planned effort. Also, we're not sure when the android market will be available for Google TV to allow us to download additional apps such as this, except that it will be in early 2011.

Fact of the matter is, Google TV is a young and emerging service. It was rolled out prematurely in an effort to counter Apple TV and other products. Ideally, the app market would be in place at product launch, but then they would have completely missed the holiday season and given up early market share. I'm not really disappointed with the shortcomings, as I know they will be addressed in time, but there is a bit of an "early-adopter" mindset required.

In the meantime, pushing and probing all parties involved can only help our cause. I'm also not completely sold on the idea that Silverlight is required. I have a PC at home that does not have silverlight installed and I think it could probably view this content over Chrome with a plugin that is not actually Silverlight. I need to investigate some more on this.