Quantcast

Ad blocker that actually works!

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by retroben, Dec 6, 2013.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

I've just found a functioning ad blocker that works on GTV.

https://app.usb0.net/wifiadblock.en.html

Just install,and enable it.

If it is failing,click overwrite/repair Wi-Fi in the settings to make it work.

So far it blocks ads on an ad blocker test,YouTube banners,possibly video ads,and even this sites ad banner.

IT EVEN WORKS ON HAPPY WHEELS!!!

YES!

• Like Like x 6
  2. retroben

retroben Active Member

No more pesky "new window/window killer" ads in Chrome thanks to the ad blocker.

It even also blocks in-app ads as well.
    I no longer have any ads in SuperTube or 1mobile,this is awesome!

It seems to also cause an internet speed boost on browsers since the ads are not loading.

The only thing you could hardly call a downside is that your DNS server is locked to the ad blocker's specific server numbers.
    It actually runs better since on first site load it takes a little bit longer,but then for the rest of the time,the site's pages load and render very fast.

3. guest

guest Active Member

As someone that has a lot of bookmarks filtered through Google Mobilizer http://google.com/gwt/n , due to slow loading times, what you've found may eliminate the need for mobilizer-type sites!

4. retroben

retroben Active Member

What makes it even better is that you don't use quite as much RAM since no ads are loading which prevents it from glitching out from lack of RAM.

I found out more,it actually stores your original settings so you can disable it temporarily for whatever reason.
    I wonder if it also blocks video ads on the YouTube apps (mobile mod/GTV version).

The app's site tells you to let them know if an ad does not get blocked so they can block it.
    Ironically,the only ads not being blocked are the angelfire ad blocking test's adverisement images,but that's not a big deal.

Most blocked ads like the YouTube banner will show a load error on the webpage instead of being an empty space.

5. guest

guest Active Member

I would like to see more people commenting about this, as it's a "game changer". I haven't yet tried it.

6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Beware the China symbols on the link make me nervous. Could be malware?

7. guest

guest Active Member

Yeah, that caused a raised eyebrow. Justifiable xenophobia? Maybe. I'd like to get more information on the company behind this. It's definitely something that we could all use.

8. retroben

retroben Active Member

Don't be a racist,it is a multi-language supported app.
    It is japanese and english much like another awesome app I have from another japanese site.

It is called ImageViewer SingleTouch 1.6.
    There is a link right on the page that enables google translate for english.

http://android.es.land.to/ImageViewer/index.htm

Back to ad blocker discussion.

Everything is said in both languages,kinda like english and spanish Nutrition Facts on some drinks and candies.
    Just get it straight on your GTV device to be more on the safe side.
    I've been using it this whole time with no issues at all.

The best part of blocking ads is that some ads are powered by flash which normally cause horrendous slowdown on the GTV Chrome browser and weaken the flash plugin.

It should at least be safe on all HoneyComb GTV devices.
    If you didn't notice,there is two identical download links,one is http,while the other one is a secure https link.
    Don't worry,the app is in perfect english when installed.
    The entire page explains how to install and use it,and how to keep it up to date with F-droid.
    It even includes telling you to enable unknown sources.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  9. guest

guest Active Member

A word in this URL is wifi. https://app.usb0.net/wifiadblock.en.html I have a Revue in the house that connects via wifi, but it's not the one that I use. Does this app work with non-wifi-connected devices?

10. MikeYuse0406

MikeYuse0406 New Member

I'm trying to download the app on my Co star and when I click on the file to install it says "cannot open file"

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my Jedi X20'd Note 2 via TapaTalk Pro

11. guest

guest Active Member

If you haven't already, go to System Settings/Applications/ Unknown Sources. Checkmark it.

Edit: Also, download the free ES File Explorer app, and open the adblocker app from within that app.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. MikeYuse0406

MikeYuse0406 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I have unknown sources checked. I will try Es file Explorer and report back.

13. retroben

retroben Active Member

While using the ad blocker,you will see simple text only notifications whenever connecting or disconnecting the internet.
    This is the ad blocker being smart and turning off its service to conserve memory until connecting again.

The site does a really good job explaining how to use the ad blocker.

14. MikeYuse0406

MikeYuse0406 New Member

I was able to install it using ES File Explorer. Too bad it doesn't work on the wired connection :(

15. Tye

Tye Member

I hesitate to mention this but should anyone else be concerned the page is Japanese, not Chinese.

16. bobz

bobz Member

Oh much thanks...works like a charm.Very useful.Using it on my Lg Google tv.

17. madman999

madman999 Member

hope this works on wired devices-I am going to try this on one of my Logitech Revues that is connected via the wired port.

18. guest

guest Active Member

Let us know if it works that way. I don't think it does. But it's no big deal to switch back and forth, wired and wi-fi, when you need to.

There is one site that I use a lot which really doesn't support Android, it's Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com . I don't know if it's flash or ads, but my Revue frequently has a problem when I try to get the nutritional profile of two or more foods. It generally works O.K., even though it was set up to work with Microsoft and Apple products. (You need to register in order to get to the My Tracking page.) I'm thinking of trying it with this Ad-Blocker.

The product Safeplug, at $49.00, also works as an ad-blocker. Plus, it hides your IP address.
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/8900-safeplug-49-00-a.html

Though, it too is a wi-fi only device, I believe. It plugs into your router.

19. zerozed

zerozed New Member

I'm struggling to understand why an ad-blocking program would only work with a wifi connection. Why should it matter if the html code is being transferred via WiFi or over ethernet? As far as the browser knows, bits are bits. Just doesn't make sense from a programming perspective.

20. retroben

retroben Active Member

It taps into the Wi-Fi settings specifically to change them in a way that blocks the ads.

Android itself is a mobile platform with 2,3,or 4G and Wi-Fi,while GTV devices happen to be set-top,a television equivalent of desktop.