Quantcast

Acer Ramps Up Production Of Second-Gen Chromebook

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 18, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Acer ramps up production of second-gen Chromebook (click for full article)

Sep. 18, 2012 (10:58 am) By: Lee Mathews

"Recognize the humble laptop up there? No? That's not a surprise, since most of the world paid very little attention to the Acer AC700 Chromebook. Only Acer and Samsung have bothered to build Chrome OS hardware so far, and the consumer public hasn't been too interested in paying more for low-power hardware running Google's cloud-first OS than comparably-or-better-equipped Windows machines.

But that didn't stop Samsung from introducing a second-gen Chromebook $549.99 at Amazon with a dual-core Atom chip, and it now looks as though Acer wants in on the action, too. According to Digitimes' upstream supplier sources, Acer is already mass-producing a new 11.6-inch model - and shipments could reach a monthly volume of 200,000 units."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

A lot of the articles knock Chrome OS as having low sales thus far. However I noticed that when the Samsung Chromebox was first released it shot up to number 1 on the Amazon desktop computers bestseller list. Even now the Chromebox is still the ninth best selling desktop on Amazon. That doesn't seem so terrible to me:

Amazon Best Sellers: best Desktop Computers

3. CatfishRivers

Microsoft pushes Acer to be more aggressive about Chromebooks (click for full article)

by Lucian Armasu on Sep 17, 2012

"Microsoft's entering the tablet business with Surface hasn't really made them any friends in the Windows ecosystem. In fact, the majority of the manufacturers were quite angry with them, especially since the Redmond company didn't even tell their hardware partners about Surface except a few of the major ones like HP and Dell. And that's only two days before the launch event. If Microsoft doesn't want to compete with them, then why were they so secretive about Surface in the first place?

Acer had been one of the companies to be the most vocal about their critique of the Surface, blasting Microsoft over its decision to suddenly become a tablet-maker. Now they want to show Microsoft that they've got an alternative in ChromeOS, so they're going to heavily promote their next-gen Chromebooks supposed to come out this October.

Acer hopes to sell about 200,000 Chromebook units monthly, and will use their Chromebook line to replace the Windows-based netbooks. It seems the netbook is an ailing product line, as users are not so keen on purchasing these under-sized, under-powered notebooks anymore, with the popularity of tablet alternatives. Major PC manufacturers have seen their sales of netbooks decline rapidly."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

Acer AC710 Chromebook on the way - Liliputing (click for full article)

"Acer may be preparing to launch its second Chromebook soon. French blogger Pierre Lecourt has published the first pictures of an upcoming Acer laptop running Google's Chrome operating system. It's called the Acer AC710 Chromebook, and the laptop has a familiar design."

5. CatfishRivers

Google introduces the $199 Acer C7 Chromebook (Celeron CPU, 3.5 hour battery) - Liliputing (click for full article)

"Acer's newest Chromebook is the least expensive Chrome OS device to date. The Acer C7 Chromebook goes on sale in the US tomorrow with a starting price of $199.

But unlike Samsung's recently introduces $249 Chromebook, the new Acer C7 doesn't have an ARM-based processor. Instead this 11.6 inch Chrome OS laptop is powered by a 1.1 GHz Intel Celeron 847 Sandy Bridge processor.

The Acer C7 is also the first Chromebook to feature a hard drive. It has a 320GB hard disk. But it still boots in a relatively quick 18 seconds, thanks to the light-weight Chrome operating system and 2GB of DDR3 RAM.

That's not quite as fast as the latest Samsung Chromebooks (with Intel Celeron or Samsung Exynos processors). But I haven't found many Windows laptops that can boot in under 20 seconds - especially not notebooks that sell for under $200.

While the Acer C7 is the first Chromebook with a sizeable hard drive, there is a downside. The laptop only gets an estimated 3.5 hours of battery life.

Customers will get 100GB of Google Drive storage space for 2 years with the purchase of a new Acer C7 Chromebook, just like they do if they buy other recent Chrome OS devices.

Google says the new Acer Chromebook will be available from Google Play and the Best Buy website starting November 13th. It will be available in Best Buy stores starting this week, and it's also coming to the UK.

If the Acer C7 looks familiar, that's because it looks like Acer basically took an Aspire V5-171 Windows laptop, stripped down the features a bit, and replaced Windows with Chrome OS.

via Google Chrome blog"

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. CatfishRivers

It will be interesting to see how the new Acer Chromebook sells compared to the new Samsung ARM Chromebook. I'd also like to read some reviews comparing these two devices.

It looks like Gooogle has a big hit on their hands with the new Samsung ARM Chromebook. It's currently the #1 bestseller on the Amazon "Computers & Accessories" list:

Amazon.com: Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch): Computers & Accessories

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. CatfishRivers

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Samsung Chromebook is the number one Amazon seller in its class now as well:

Amazon.com: acer c7

These Chromebooks sound like a better product than a tablet for my needs, not sure why I have a tablet computer but I do and I sure don't need both.

9. CatfishRivers

The new Samsung ARM Chromebook has a few differences compared to the new Acer C7. The Samsung Chromebook has bluetooth and a USB 3.0 port - however it has no ethernet port or hard drive. (Although a USB ethernet adaptor can be used with it). On Amazon there are already over 200 customer reviews for the Samsung ARM Chromebook and it has an excellent rating of 4.2 stars.

I am very interested in these devices - however with the recent news that Google is exptected to release a Nexus Chromebook (most likely by 1st quarter 2013) - I will wait to see how the Nexus Chromebook compares to the other Chromebooks.

10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have got to hand it to you, you are being very methodical about this next purchase, researching and comparing each device that might suit your needs. I am afraid no matter what you find or when you find it, there will be an upcoming product that sounds like it might be better. Ultimately, I guess you will have to draw the line and make that choice.