Quantcast

Accessing DLNA content

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by derekcentrico, Jan 13, 2012.

1. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

To set up the schema I utilize at home, I have a server running FreeNAS 7.3 which offers great services such as DLNA via UPNP, TORRENT, SAMBA, and Windows share services. Before purchasing the Revue, our only source of content viewing was through my Playstation 3. We used it for Netflix and for its DLNA browsing ability to access our video files to play.

I've been trying to find a way to access the same content easily in Google TV. But, it has been impossible to do. I've tried the Logitech Media player and the Avia Media player.

With Avia, I set it to only access Videos. But, it doesn't seem to cache the data very well. Its "video" browser shows everything alphabetically, which can take lots of sifting through to find the data. Its "folder" view is equally as crappy. It shows the hundreds of folders for Music albums that I've electronically saved/downloaded even though it shouldn't source the music. And to find video folders, it takes about 15 - 20 minutes of sifting.

Logitech Media Player seems to be a little better than Avia. However, it too does not offer the "Videos" via directory tree method. Instead, it lumps the hundreds of videos into one list making it a pain to locate what you want to watch unless it happens to be the first 15 results in alphabetical order. It has a "Folders" option. But that is laced and mixed with root videos and folders alike. Still annoying.

I'm wondering if there is any app or method to view a DLNA server and navigate it from the root directory through sub-directories to find the content you wish similar to that of the ease-of-use PS3 setup.

Input much appreciated!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There aren't many DLNA client options available for Google TV at the moment. And, it seems you've already exhausted the possibilities. Since you're using a freeNas system, you might want to try GTVBox Video Player. It will allow you to access your files over SMB shares which sounds like exactly what you're looking for anyways. Also, don't be afraid of emailing your suggestions to the developers, as most of them will welcome your feedback and maybe even implement them.

3. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

Any opinion on primarily Windows or Samba share browsing and/or UPNP browsing and playing?

4. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty happy using the Bubbleupnp player. I tried a few, including the ones mentioned and also Skifta, Twonky, Plug Player, etc.