Quantcast

Accessing attached USB drive from network

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Aus10tech, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Aus10tech

Aus10tech New Member

Hi All, thanks in advance for helping with this, I have a usb drive attached to my co-star, I want to be able to drop files to it across the network, is this possible and what would the best solution be?
    Thanks Again.

2. heyted

heyted New Member

Why use a USB drive? Why not keep the content on a computer and use DLNA?

3. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Yes it is, download file expert. Setup your usb drive as the default share folder for ftp. Make sure your device is on the wifi network and start the ftp sharing in file expert. Use es file explorer to browse your content on your gtv device from other android devices and/or install a ftp client (filezilla) to access the content from your pc. It's how I do.

I also create a shortcut for launching the ftp in one click, so I can launch it on my tabket from my tablet in my bedroom.

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I747M avec Tapatalk

4. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I'm not sure if I have this correct. On my external hard drive I have a folder called Movies. When I connect to the FTP I see a folder called Movies. But none of the video and jpg files I have in my movie folder show up in the FTP. So I'm not sure if it is the right Movies folder or if I did it correctly.

5. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Hi, yes you probably access the Movie file on your internal sd card.

First I would suggest to add a prefix to all your folders on your external HD, something like HD_Movie or USB_Movie, EXT_Movie.

To access the right folder on your usb hd follow these steps in file expert. ( My file expert is in French so I will do my best to translate the file / option name but I'm sure you will figure out which option I'm referring to).

1-Click on the Folders tab on top.
    2-Click on one of the option you have on this page (example: SD Carte).
    3-Click on the path on top of the pop-up and then select "/" if you have "/mnt" select this one and go to step 5.
    4-Select mnt
    5-Select Media
    6-You should see your USB_HD, I will recommend to share your entire USB drive, so you will be able to add music, picture and apps folders, long press on it and in the pop-up window click on (+) for more option and then :
    Click on Choose as default sharing folder;
    Click on create a FTP shortcut (or Bookmark). (That will create a shortcut on your apps screen and you will be able to add it to your home bar. This is how I launch it from other room in my house, because I know is the first option on my bar, I open able remote click on homer/ one click right on the d-pad and enter and it start the ftp sharing).

Tell me if it works,

6. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I got most of this to work. I was able to find the hard drive and share it by doing share network while I was on the hard drive screen. Only problem I had was for it to create a shortcut. It creates a shortcut but then says failed and removes it.

But I did get to transfer a video file to it from my PC using FileZilla. So that was pretty cool. Thanks for the help there.

7. hoggdoc

hoggdoc New Member

This all seems very convoluted and complex. Please keep in mind I don't have a Co-Star at the moment, but am considering purchasing one. So here goes my question, If the Co-Star is logged onto the home/office network via wifi doesn't it show as an asset on that network? If it does show-up as a device on the network it stands to reason that any device connected to it (the Co-Star) should be accessible too, right?

For example, on my iMac when I go to finder and click on "Shared" my LG NAS drive shows up as well as any device I have plugged into my router's usb port. See screen shot attachment.

Just wondering why this would not allow access to the any drive or thumb drive attached to the Co-Stars' usb port.

Aside from that I have a related question regarding Co-Stars' ability to access network attached devices. Currently I have an Apple TV 2 (Black) that has been hacked using FIRECOREs' enhancements. One of the features added by FIRECORE is a "media player". Using this media player you can search and make available ANY network attached device thereby making any content on that device available to the media player. I use this to access the folders on my NAS drive where I store movies, video concerts, podcasts, TV Shows recorded via the DVR software on my iMAC.

As Co-Star runs ICS and has the Play Store available it should be a simple matter to download a flexible media player like MX Player that would give you access to any files available to the Co-Star, right?

BTW this is a key feature I need to know is available in the Co-Star before I buy one. ;)

Attached Files: