Quantcast

Accessing a drive connected to wireless router

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by surfweasel, Mar 10, 2011.

1. surfweasel

surfweasel New Member

Hi,

I searched to see how I can access my network drive hooked up usb through my wireless router, but cannot find any threads on it.

It should be able to be done somehow. I have WDTV and it finds the network drive as well as my desktop, laptop, netbook drives very nicely. I just can't get it to find from drive via GoogleTV. I can easily plug in usb to GoogleTV box and it finds that no problem.

Thank you in advance!

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

It isn't going to find the USB hard drive connected to your wireless router unless the wireless router hosting your hard drive supports DLNA. The WDTV may be accessing the drive via network shares...I'm not really sure because I don't own that device. But my point is that unless the networked device you are connecting to is a DLNA server (and configured properly) it will not access the media. Also you need to be sure that the media stored is of the supported file types or the files wont show up either. The Logitech and the Sony Google TV support different file types...so depending on which Google TV you have will also affect your success in this matter. Search this forum for more info on supported file types.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. surfweasel

surfweasel New Member

Hi Galfert,

My router is not DLNA so probably cannot go that route. The Logitech GoogleTV does see the files on all my other computers. It would just be easier to have the drive attached to network so everything would be able to see.

WDTV is really good. It attaches to the the network and can read all computers and network drives without any issues...

Thanks much!

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

Some routers can have their firmware replaced by DD-WRT or OpenWRT or Tomato (there might be others but those are the popular ones). With this third party firmware you can add DLNA sometimes depending on your router if the feature is supported and if your router will run one of these firmwares. But be careful with replacing your router's firmware as you could end up breaking it for good (bricking it) and realize that this is not covered under warranty from the manufacture. So do a lot of reading in the perspective router firmware forums before you dive in.

You could also wait for the Google TV app market and maybe we will get network file access support.