Quantcast

Access USB Storage via Network?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by slamroc, Oct 10, 2012.

1. slamroc

slamroc New Member

I've had an external hard drive attached to my WDTV Live+ for a while. Whenever I wanted to add a file to it, I just navigated to the hard drive on my PC through my home network. I've purchased the Sony Google TV set-top-box to replace this unit.

Is there any way to access USB storage on the Google TV through the network in the way described above? At this point, I've got to eject the drive and physically attach it to my computer to add files - very annoying.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

There is only 2 solutions I know of right at the moment that may work. One is to get a newer router that has a usb port that allows you to connect the hard drive to the router and then stream your files from the drive to the google tv. In theory this should work but I tried it with my router and even thought the computer could move and delete files from the drive in both rooms, my google tv would not access the files even using gtv box media player app.

Mind you that I have not tried doing the above in a long time and gtv box has had a lot of updates since I tried the above so it may work now.

The 2nd method that is much easier involves you plugging the drive in to your computer and then installing plex media server on that computer and have plex index the drive with your tv shows, movies, and music you want to watch on the google tv and buy the plex tv app for google tv and that way you dont have to keep doing what your doing.

One last method if you have the money and involves some research is to buy a nas that supports plex and move your data to the nas and put plex on it and you should be able to access the nas using any computer on your network and that will allow you to turn your computer off and not need it running when streaming stuff from the nas to google tv using plex. I would only suggest this option if you had a lot of computer experience and are willing to deal with more complicated stuff then plain windows.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am using a 1TB WD Elements USB hard drive connected to a laptop on my network with standard definition PlayLater recordings on the drive and can access those files using PlayOn easily. PlayOn/PlayLater is SD only so not an option for HD files. PlayOn is very useful for accessing Google TV blocked standard definition sites on a network PC but I would think most people with files on a network drive have mostly HD files making that server of little use for that purpose. I also don't recall accessing other SD files on that drive using PlayOn but I may see if that is possible if someone is interested. I would think Plex can do a nice job for that purpose and although I own it, haven't yet tried that. Plex is only 99 cents in the Google Play store and the Plex server is downloaded to the PC for free.

4. slamroc

slamroc New Member

Thanks for the tips!
    I'm using Plex, but pretty disappointed. The Hulu channel plays so choppy, it takes forever for a networked video file to begin playing - very disappointing indeed.

I bought the GTV Box app - no better!

Actually, I'm finding the whole purchase of this Google TV pretty disappointing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using Tapatalk 2

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

ChrisG8,
    when you say your files are in SD using playon , have you tried to adding the file extensions to playon so they play directly in stead of getting converted?

You can do this by going to my media, click options, and choose direct serving and put in the file extensions you want to serve directly to your tv without transcoding. It's a lot like Plex's Direct Play Feature. This only works with your own files though.

I see now you were talking about Playlater files, sorry :(