Quantcast

Access to shared drives? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by alvysyngr, Sep 13, 2011.

1. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

I just setup a Revue last night that I scored off eBay for $50 (sweet) and so far so good BUT I want to access my 2tb drive of HD MKV's, AVI files, photos, mp3's, etc which I can easily access with my WDTV HD Live Plus (which I just don't like). I followed several directions ( Andronica ) and the best I could get shared is a bunch of Windows Media Folders which are empty and my iTunes directory somehow is shared so I can listen to my podcasts, yay, lol.

With the WDTV it offers me the entire shared structure and allows me to go to whatever folder and choose whatever file and launches it - is this not possible from GTV? I didn't even think for a half-second it would not be able to do something just about every box can do (which I was hoping to have GTV replace). This is a feature that I have has since I first modded my first xbox with XBMC. How can a feature that Xbox 360, PS3, WDTV, XBMC and even my Tivo on some level with a Java applet not exist in this thing? I hope I am just missing something because I dig this box otherwise and it would be a shame to have such a ubiquitous option overlooked.

Also i was hoping to buy another 2tb and setup a ****** 4tb NAS that I can throw in my closet - would GTV be able to even see that?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It depends on the NAS. I have a 4TB QNAP TS-409 Turbo Pro NAS and both my Logitech Revue and Sony Internet TV is able to see my movies stored on it. However, the caveat is that they must be shared through a DLNA server and my NAS uses TwonkyMedia server for that functionality. That is because the Media Players on the Google TV devices do not support direct File and Directory Sharing from any networked operating system. They can only act as a DLNA client or a local USB media player.

3. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

I see that as a massive limitation - am I alone? To not be able to stream files directly over a local network without a DLNA is kind of a pain. Hopefully Honeycomb can fix this since it truly is JUST a software issue.

4. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

You can stream direct with the beta HC releases - its just a waiting game for the official release...

5. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

If thats the case I can wait :) I've only had it setup for 16 hours

6. surge919

surge919 New Member

Do you have more information about this?
    I have the beta installed and haven't seen this option.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Try installing ES File Explorer its on the shared dropbox account.

8. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Even if you are eventually able to stream direct, the Revue does not support many popular file formats. Hopefully the upcoming update will address that limitation, but unless it does, you may not be able to play some of your files even if you can access them direct. This is partially resolved by using a DLNA server that can transcode but I find that there are still some playback issues (using Mezzmo in my case).

Paul