Quantcast

Access channels higher than 180

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by WhereAmI, Dec 17, 2011.

1. WhereAmI

WhereAmI New Member

I have a Sony Google TV...

Has anyone figured out how to get the TV to access channels higher than 180? there are a few channels from Comcast (err. Xfinity) that exist in the 200 range... and the music channels in the 400 range. I've gotten everything else without the need to incorporate the cable box. I'm hoping there is a way, or someone has figured out a way to get the TV to natively find and leverage these channels; as the cable box blocks the HD and forces everything to SD.

Any ideas?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Have you tried enabling the individual channels in the Live TV > GTV Menu > Edit channel list? or tried to select a different channel provider? What Provider ID does it list under GTV Settings > TV Source > Edit Configured Device > Edit Channel Lineup? Mine is "TX42500.X" and this matches exactly with AOLTV's tvlistings.aol.com/listings/tx/austin/time-warner-cable/TX42500|X which is also fed by the i.TV channel guide.

In this particular situation, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/3516-hd-channels.html", BucYouUp68 did not have the ".X" in his Provider ID which is why he had limited list of channels.

3. WhereAmI

WhereAmI New Member

eferz,

I've tried manually adding them and I just get a blank screen (no fuzz, no audio)... doesn't seem the TV likes anything much higher than 135 as a station number on its own (disappointing since I know its all just programming) - bummer at the moment... hopefully someone figures out how to get it to "read" and understand the higher channel numbers.

As far as your question for the PROVIDER ID... I cannot locate that setting in my TV (Sony Google 40"). I think i found the setting you were looking for under GTV SETTINGS > VIDEO INPUT > CONFIGURED DEVICES > BUILT-IN TUNER > EDIT CHANNEL LINEUP
    The result was "MD67301".

If I select to edit I'm given a couple other choices, but the code I have showing isn't even listed!
    Options shown are:
    "DISH Baltimore" (Satellite)
    "4DTV" (Satellite)
    "AFN Satellite" (Satellite)
    "Broadcast Digital" (OTA - Baltimore)
    "C-Band" (Satellite)
    "Comcast Baltimore City" (Coax/Fiber)
    "DIRECTV Baltimore" (Satellite)
    "Globecast World TV" (Satellite)
    "RCN Cable" (Coax/Fiber)
    "SKY Angel" (Satellite)
    "Verizon Fios Baltimore" (Coax/Fiber)

Still playing around, but welcoming any ideas!

The enjoyable part of the list above is that I live in the county and have Comcast... and that's not even presented as an option!

I read the post that you linked around HD channels, but I can't find how he was able to edit the listing to include the "X"... do you recall how that's possible?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep, that's it. Sorry about the mix up, I forget the application paths are different between Sony and Logitech's Google TV products.

Okay, this provider ID, according to AolTV is "Verizon Fios Heritage Harbor for Columbia, MD 21046". This is guide / channels which you get under that id, "http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/md/columbia/verizon-fios-heritage-harbor/MD67301" (Verizon Fios Heritage Harbor, Silver Spring) and I believe this is what you would rather have "http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/md/columbia/verizon-fios-heritage-harbor/MD67301|X" (Verizon Fios Heritage Harbor Digital, Silver Spring).

The actual code is hidden and is generated upon the selections made during the Lineup Provider Wizard.

It is probably, "Comcast Baltimore City" (Coax/Fiber)". It could be that the channel guide information uses the same profile for different counties under the i.TV service.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't know. The Lineup Provider Wizard will asks two or three additional questions after selecting the provider and based on your answer, "|X", is either appended on not.

This wizards acts like questionnaires in Cosmopolitan magazine where you answer a list of multiple choice questions, Then you have to tally the hidden scores associated to your answer to find out which category you fit into. The problem with this wizard is that you can't see the scores before hand and I don't know the correct answer sequence to get it.

5. WhereAmI

WhereAmI New Member

So I kept digging around and trying selecting a doing a scan of the Baltimore City stations (worked just fine - just shuffled some things up), as well as I tried changing it to each of the surrounding zipcodes to see what would show up. On the 6th zipcode that wasn't mine, I was able to get "Comcast - Baltimore County" to appear.

I don't know if the Sony is different than the Revue, but for me there's isn't so much a questionnaire as just a checkbox before you begin to include or exclude HD channels ("Enable Access to HD Channels - Yes/No") - so in that sense, not sure if the "X" makes a difference or not for the Sony variant. I did not notice a difference of what the scan picked up before and after.

Since I didn't know what the original code was, I was able to then "borrow" the more appropriate designation from a neighboring zipcode, which gave me the results code of "MD19447.X"

I walked through all the channels and the scan picked up through 117.

Any channel that Comcast has listed that I should have access to (video or music only) in the 200 or 400 range. Granted I haven't tried each and every one, but when the first dozen didn't work, I guessed the remainder would be the same result.

My cross reference to what I should be able to receive was a recently provided list from Comcast / Xfinity listing channel lineup for "Limited Basic" (get all of these plus some - although channel numbers don't line up 1-1 at all times)
    as well as "Limited Basic with Digital Equipment" (which is where I am unable to get to everything). Seeing as how the Sony TV has a digital tuner and is able to pick up middle stations (e.g. 11.2 or 101.4107) I would gather it qualifies as digital equipment.

Now when setting up the TV I removed Comcast's DTA since it specifically states it would block HD channels and a bypass switch would be needed if wanting both - but I had high hopes that Sony / Google could be equivalent or better than a dinky DTA.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The some of the questions during the lineup provider wizard are:
    1. Provider: Select your lineup provider (zipcode)
    2. Verify Channel: Did your device tune into channel <#>?
    3. Verify Channel: What channel do you see on <#>?
    4. Channel Packages: Do you receive channels such as CNN, USA, and ESPN?
    5. Premium Channels: Do you receive channels such as HBO, Showtime, Starz?

The results of your answers above will result in a unique provider ID. This is used to download the channel guide information from i.TV's service. That's why we can query AolTV for the same Provider ID which is also fed by i.TV's channel guide.

I have two questions for you.

1. Why were you originally using Verizon's Provider ID?
    2. If you had Comcast, why didn't you select "Comcast Baltimore City" (Coax/Fiber)" from your original zip code?

7. WhereAmI

WhereAmI New Member

Ah. It does go through those questions - the HD selector is just before that. Funny part is that I said "yes" to the two more premium tier information and the result was no different. Is ROVI the same as i.TV (since the guide for my TV is branded "Rovi")?

Per your questions:
    1. I have NO idea. I never selected it in the beginning. When you do the original setup it never asks for zipcode. It just has two questions and a confirmation (Antenna or Cable?), (Analog or Digital or Both?)... confirm you see channel X. As to why it landed on Verizon I have no idea; didn't even know it was Verizon until you commented, since the system doesn't tell you what the description of the provider ID is... just the ID after it is selected.

2. I'm not in the City and I know that the published lineups and service routings are different between the city and the county. Likewise, for some crazy reason in the past - there is "Baltimore County" and "Baltimore County - Essex"... which are indeed different. When i scanned the city settings they were nearly identical as far as the TV made out in the end (18analog 51 digital); but by swapping away from my zipcode, I found "Baltimore County", though I haven't found a zipcode yet that shows me "Baltimore County - Digital".

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Rovi guide is actually a unique value addition for Sony's television with Google TV. That guide data is fed over the COAX input while the television is powered off. It is a feature that is actually outside of the Google TV standards. However, the answers that you've selected during Google TV's inital setup wizard will setup Rovi for you.

It actually does ask for the zip code during the initial setup wizard. You might not remember it because there are a lot of questions and it was so long ago. You can always go through a factory reset by going into GTV Settings > Privacy & security > Factory reset so that you can ensure all the original settings are appropriate.

In my opinion, you should go into the i.TV website then put in your actual zip code. If you cannot find a provider id in their list whose guide information matches exactly, then I suggest that you bring it up with them. That way the results will appropriately trickle down to their clients and therefore your Google TV.

9. WhereAmI

WhereAmI New Member

I've put the support ticket into i.TV - we shall see what happens.

Now if only we could figure out how to get it to "see" and read those higher channels... manually typing them in just gets a blue screen.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If it is an unencrypted QAM or ATSC channel then it should tune it. Have you checked with Comcast which channels should be available to you without their converter box? The channels that you might be trying to receive could be encrypted or using switched digital video. In that case the ATSC / QAM tuner that's built into the Sony television will not be able to tune it.