Quantcast

about to go revue. A couple Qs

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by beerorkid, Mar 22, 2011.

1. beerorkid

beerorkid New Member

Spent about an hour here and searched for a lot of answers, and found them. Just a couple more things I am wondering about.

Bit of background. I am a huge google whore. I was a very early user of gmail, I was accepted into the google CR-48 notbook program where I dual boot in ubuntu and chrome, I am currently working on switching our work environment to google apps, adsense / adwords, I just really like google. We have been remodeling our house and just finished the living room and we are ready to go with a full streaming box and the revue seems to be the best. We have amazon prime and netflix subscriptions. We also are logitech whores and have a harmony 900 for our main room and a 880 for our kitchen. We currently have iphones, but will be going droid soon.

1. using the search option will netflix results show up?

2. we are not dish, we are TWC 8300HD and have read up on how that can be an issue. Currently with our AVR we have the 8300HD connected with HDMI and optical sound. So I should be good right?

3. 8300HD question again. When searching on the revue will it be able to get search results from my TWC guide?

4. another 8300HD question related to question 3. If I need to go into my TWC guide is it GTV skinned or just the norm? What I am asking is if I will essentially bypass the GTV and just be on the TWC guide.

5. if your internet connection goes out do you still have access to your cable box?

I think that is it for now. We are really excited to check this product out. With the Amazon return policy we feel pretty safe giving it a test run. Just hoping this community can answer a few Qs before we pull the trigger.

Thanks for the great community. I have enjoyed reading.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. galfert

galfert Active Member

1. Netflix search results: In the integrated search function will not really show up any Netflix titles. I have seen a couple Netflix titles show up but the funtionality isn't really there. To search Netflix you really need to launch the Netflix app and then use its search feature.

2. You should be just fine with the 8300HD. You can continue to use optical sound from the Revue.

3. When you set up the Revue it asks for your zip code and your cable provider. It then uses this information to give you search results (from what you would see in your guide...it is the same data...just displayed differently). The data comes from the Internet, probably some database that Google maintains. It also uses this information for "whats on". If you want to actually see a guide...you hit the guide button and that just tells your 8300HD to display the guide from the cable box....so you are essentially controlling your cable box a this point. I hardly use the guide now that I have Google TV. You'll still need the guide though to set something to record. People with Dish that pay the extra integration charge are able to skip using the guide as Google TV can then set recordings and search DVR recordings.

4. see my response to previous question. Essentially the guide is still the same guide and you are controlling your cable box just like you were before. So no it isn't skinned. You're old cable box remote will still work just the same and it is the same in every way.

5. If your Internet service goes out you still can control your cable box because that is just done via IR for controlling the cable box and output is sent via HDMI from cable box to Revue. You can also still stream content stored on a locally networked PC or other DLNA device. And you can also still control Google TV with iPhone or Android phone since this too is just done over the local network and doesn't require Internet service.

PS -Welcome to the forum. I think you'll enjoy the Logitech Revue. Good choice!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. beerorkid

beerorkid New Member

galfert,

Thanks. You nailed the Qs, and I an thankful for it. We have decided to pick it up and play with it.

I hope to become an active part of this forum. It says it will be arriving on Thursday.

4. beerorkid

beerorkid New Member

That was a fun first night using the revue. Was up till 2 AM watching some show about snow owls on PBS stream. It is a bummer so much stuff is blocked, but thanks to some sites I have found on this forum I was finding a lot of cool stuff. The wife set up our harmony 900 to play nice with the revue. Kind of odd that we could not set up GTV as another activity and it forced us to delete our previous watch TV before we could set it up. Got confused on a few things, but was able to search for the answers online :) I have it running on G wireless and did not have any issues.

With the amazon return policy we figured it was worth giving this a shot and in just one night of using it I think this is not going back. it integrated very well with our STB and my wife summed it up perfectly. "It is our same cable setup with extra layers we can use and all on one remote." She likes the search too.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011