Quantcast

About to buy a NSZ-GT1 - coming from a Revue

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by alvysyngr, Nov 28, 2011.

1. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

I currently have a Revue unit connected and I like it a lot but with Logitech ending it's life I have little confidence in the unit, so off to eBay it goes. I will probably get $80 for it so for another $80 I can grab a NSZ-GT1. I just have a few questions before pulling the trigger.

1 - With the update do popular codecs work (MKV, XVID, etc)? Or is a DLNA server needed? I have a NAS box and SMB works perfectly for me on other devices.

2 - I found with MKV files for instance I couldnt adjust the Foreign Language track or turn on or off the subtitles, is this all adjustable with the Sony unit?

3 - If you have used the Revue as well, how would you rate the controllers verse eachother? I like the smaller form factor but the Revue works ok.

4 - Can I connect an external USB drive/thumbdrive and play movies off of it?

thanks all

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Alright, well... let's start out with MKVs since that's not a codec but a container format. A container describes how the streams are organized in a file. The video and audio streams are encoded/decoded by a particular codec in order to play the content. And yes, the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update broadens the compatibility of the playable formats. A full list of the codec provided by Google is listed here: Supported Media Formats - Google TV Android Developers Guide. The Sony NSZ-GT1 is unique because it has extra codecs included to support the DVD/Blu-Ray media formats.

As for playing your media the Sony Media Player still only supports DLNA and local USB for media playback like the Logitech Media Player. However, you can buy the GTVBox Video Player to play your media off of SMB shares on your NAS and it allows you to select audio and subtitle tracks.

I honestly don't like either. The Revue is a great keyboard and mouse but it is very bulky and cumbersome if you're curling into the couch with someone. The Sony NSG-MR1 is more cuddle friendly; however, it is very awkward to use since the buttons are not intuitively place and the Optical Finger Sensor doubles as the mouse-click. It makes for very awkward motion if you try to drag and drop or highlight multiple items.

I typically use a Harmony 300 remote for most task selections and pull out either controller when I need to type. This works for me because I have the Logitech Revue and the Sony NSX-24GT1, both have built-in IR sensors but the NSZ-GT1 does not.

Yep, however, Sony did not include the ntfs-3g driver so it will only support drives with FAT partition types.

• Like Like x 4
  3. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

Thank you for the info - I have no doubt I'll be ordering the NSZ-GT1 tonight - now to find the best price lol

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.

• Like Like x 2