Quantcast

about:debug

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by guest, Mar 30, 2014.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Is there a way to view a desktop version of a website on Google TV? I'm trying to access a playlist on Grooveshark. Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music . That's the desktop URL. When I go to it, I get a blank, orange page. The HTML5 URL works fine on Google TV Grooveshark Mobile .

I'm running into the same problem with a Motorola Xoom tablet. On the tablet, if you do a Google search of the term about:debug, a new link is created in Settings called "debug". When you click it, you get the option of switching to a desktop view. But I've not been successful reaching that desktop url on the tablet either.

Is there a way to do this on a Logitech Revue, maybe using a downloadable application?

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The problem is not that Grooveshark won't recognize a desktop browser with GTV - because I changed my Logitech Revue user agent to a current desktop Chrome user agent ** Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/32.0.1667.0 Safari/537.36 ** - and Grooveshark still didn't work.

IMO this implies that the problem is with the outdated Chrome 11 browser on Honeycomb GTV devices. The site might be using some kind of HTML5, Flash, or Javascript that the GTV browser doesn't support. For example GTV Chrome 11 browser doesn't support WebM (which is one form of HTML5).

Also previously there were some legal issues with Grooveshark and I recall reading that Google dropped support for the Grooveshark app (or something to that effect).

*Here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grooveshark

** Grooveshark's legal status remains controversial. It won a major lawsuit filed by Universal concerning its pre-1972 recordings, but other lawsuits are still in progress. As of January 2012, Grooveshark has been sued for copyright-violations by all four of the major music companies: EMI Music Publishing, Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group, and Universal Music Group.[3] For one suit complaining about copyright-infringement, the liabilities have been estimated at US $17 billion.[4][5] Concerns about copyrights led Google, Apple and Facebook to remove Grooveshark's applications from Google Play, the App Store (iOS) and Facebook platform respectively. However, Grooveshark was brought back on saurik's Cydia app for jailbroken Apple devices. **

I don't think Google is 'blocking' the desktop version - but they're certainly not going to go out of their way to make it work on our dead-end GTV Honeycomb devices.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I tried the mobile version (without signing up) and it works great on my Logitech Revue. Thanks for the heads-up about the mobile version. Do your personal playlists work on the mobile version?

By the way - I used your little trick of opening an incognito window to keep Grooveshark playing in the background while I web-surf with my Logitech Revue. Then if I need to be signed-in to web sites I go back to a regular window (while the music is playing) - and the music keeps playing & web sites will recognize my cookies.

For those that missed it - Here's a link to the thread about the incognito window trick to keep music playing in the background on GTV:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/8444-music.html

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  4. guest

guest Active Member

I thought you were using another music service. You prefer Grooveshark to the other service that you were using?I resolved the problem on the tablet. Had to download the Dolphin Browser app, the Dolphin Jetpack app and the Adobe Flash for Android app.

5. guest

guest Active Member

Couldn't edit the earlier comment:Edit: It took about five hours to figure it out, though, with all the Google searches and queries! Also, needed the Dolphin Desktop Toggle app.