Quantcast

ABC Videos Playable!

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by BobinVA, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

I have a 24" Google TV from 2011.

This week,I noticed that ABC's videos are now playable on my Google TV from the Chrome browser. Let's see how long this lasts (?);some of the major networks block Google TV.

Also,NBC,which formerly allowed Google TVs access,now refers one over to Google Play to download the NBC Universal app. Once one gets to Google Play,there's another message saying the NBC Universal app is not compatible with Google TV. I wish NBC would fix this app;I've complained 2x about it.

Bob in VA

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I just tested this with my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) and here are my findings:

1) Full episodes from ABC played only if I set my GTV user agent to "generic".

2) Full episodes from NBC no longer work with my GTV user agent on "generic" (just a black screen). With GTV user agent on "default" the following message was displayed on my screen (upon attempting to play a full NBC episode):

"Full episodes of this and other NBC shows are nowavailable for FREE on your googletv.

Watch Now ยป

Don't have the NBC app?

Download it for free from the App Store.

Show and episode availability subject to change."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I clicked to go to the Google Play Store for the NBC Universal app - however it says the app is not compatible with my Logitech Revue.

Has anybody tested this with the Vizio Co-Star or the Sony NSZ-GS7?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. CatfishRivers

IMO the fact that the ABC episodes don't work with the GTV browser in "default" mode - is a hint that this is most likely a glitch and not a major breakthrough where ABC has changed their mind about blocking GTV.

However if the NBC Universal app would actually work with GTV devices - that would represent a breakthrough of sorts. Although I see in the Google Play Store that this app has a poor user rating. So it might of been actually better just using the web site (when it worked).

4. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Checked ABC this morning,Catfish.

What you have said earlier about using "generic" as the user agent is the general rule on the ABC.com site. However,the videos from the ABC News subsite will not play at all,irregardless of user agent setting.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I check NBC & ABC from time to time. Usually if you approach it from a secondary site it may play for a few hours. Once the page is cached or the browser sniffers detect ya, the site blocking kicks into gear.

6. CatfishRivers

I sideloaded the NBC Universal app on my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) - however upon opening the app it always force closes.

ABC web site is still working with browser on "generic". (NBC web site still not working with browser on generic).

I also tested CBS.com with browser on generic (& default) and it doesn't work.

I will mention though that the CBS Sports web site is working with my Logitech Revue - and I can view full live sports events from CBS Sports.