Quantcast

A taste of the horrible things to come for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sparkyscott21, Dec 3, 2013.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Windows XP is now more than 12 years old but according to data from Net Applications, it is still used on more than 31% of desktop and laptop computers around the world. Those tens of millions of PC users could be in for a very rude awakening next year once Microsoft cuts off support for the aged operating system. Microsoft itself even warned users of the imminent tsunami of viruses and other malware that will inevitably wash over XP stragglers once it stops issuing updates and fixes for the OS. Now, a recently discovered critical zero-day flaw has been acknowledged in a Microsoft support document that could cause serious problems for XP users.

“The vulnerability is an elevation of privilege vulnerability,” Microsoft said in a recent security advisory. “An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could run arbitrary code in kernel mode. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full administrative rights.”

Microsoft confirmed that it is working on a fix for the flaw, but let this serve as a warning — after April 8th next year, critical flaws like this one (and worse) will go unfixed, thus leaving gaping holes in Windows XP that are just begging for malware to exploit them.

12-3-13

Source

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

lol, gotta love Microsoft trying to spread fear in order to make sales. All they're going to do is prove they shouldn't be trusted with designing and maintaining a computer operating system.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Really? After almost 13 years the company should still provide free fixes and protection? I would like to see a legal precedent for such a requirement or a court case, I don't have any problem with how Microsoft is handling this and I don't believe it is Microsoft just trying to scare people into buying a new operating system. Anybody with a PC running Windows XP should either retire the PC or upgrade the operating system, if the PC is capable of running Windows 7. I guess keep the computer off the internet is another possibility, I don't think router tweaks, firewalls and other means of protection can make an XP computer safe to use connected to the internet after the drop dead date. I am far from an expert, I am still running a Windows Vista laptop, only 4.5 years old and will continue to use it until it breaks or the operating system reaches the same status as XP. I retired an 8 year old XP laptop when I purchased that one 4.5 years ago.

4. jonw747

Why should I upgrade to a new version of Windows when it's just going to wipe all my current Apps and break many of the ones I need to use even if I re-installed them? Windows 2K, Vista, 7, or even 8 give me nothing that I need.

If Microsoft walks away from XP it will simply leave a vacuum for others to step-in. If they don't want to support it anymore, they should open source it so others can, but even if they don't, you will see 3rd party solutions for problems as they arise.

Personally, I can control what can contact and access my PC, so I find it pretty easy to avoid security issues. If I had to I could run my web browser in a virtual machine, but I think the web browser companies will have to pick up the slack for M$.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It may be the dedicated XP user with technical knowhow can keep it running safely without Microsoft help, I know I wouldn't have any idea how to do it. I did think that XP ran well and it would have been fine with me if Vista, 7 and 8 didn't ever happen.

6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

While I enjoy the freshness of Win 8.1, I hate the learning curve. Here you have Desktop & Metro. One gives ya the traditional feel of Win XP if you take the time to set it up. Metro gives ya a touchscreen style more suited to tablets. But the learning curve from any previous Windows OS is very steep indeed! XP, Win Vista & Win 7 all follow a logical path of ascension. All my limited experience were on PCs other than my own except for Win Vista & 8. But I never felt lost until Win Vista and that was only because Dell put the Home Basic version on one of their inferior PCs and sold it as Win Vista qualified which it obviously wasn't.

Windows 8 seems to come out of left field somewhere taking all the modern features from varying devices & throwing them at ya in a confusing mix. I had an HP Win 8 Laptop briefly. Its trackpad was split down the middle; the left for moving the cursor, the right for activating the Charms and the far left corner for scrolling. I don't have to tell ya what a nuisance this was for former Windows anything users.

I simply could not navigate webpages. Also, w/the split-pad ya had to remember not to stray too far to the top & bottom corners or you would active the Start/Last screen function. The K700 trackpad works better than any mouse w/Win 8 and simplifies Metro functions like trying to find Tabs or activating the search bar. Ctrl + L & the Menu keys keep me from going insane!

Whada mess...

Carl

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  7. jonw747

Really it should be your web browser and email client protecting you, because in a typical home system, nothing else is going to even present a security hole.

Of course I don't see 3rd party virus checkers going anywhere.

But hey, if you're PC is being brought to your knees on a regular basis, you may be a good candidate for a Chromebook. :)

Personally, I never even bothered to run a virus checker until some clever jerk figured out how insert an attack in to banner Ads. Up until that point I never ran in to anything I couldn't avoid by not doing something stupid. And fact was, I didn't even get that virus thanks to script blockers and Ad blockers.

We can only hope that when Microsoft drops support for XP that will also mean the end of them finding ways to break it.