Quantcast

A Quick Chat With Google TV’s Lead Dev About The Network Blockade, Apps,

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by JimMariner, Nov 10, 2010.

1. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

And Google TV Hitting the PS3

[​IMG]

In my mind, Google TV is about the most interesting product idea in recent gadget history. It’s poised, ready, not to disrupt the TV industry, but rather provide consumers true on-demand options with no extra work on the networks’ part. There’s nothing particularly novel about Google TV, but the whole concept is wrapped up as such a nice package that’s it’s hard not to like it — that is, if you can look past the first generation jitters. The platform isn’t particularly ready for general consumption just yet as it seems it fell victim Google’s “release early, release often” mantra. But it’s only going to get better with each release.

I spent some time this afternoon talking to Google TV’s product managers, Salahuddin Choudhary, about what’s wrong with the platform today and where it’s going. Let’s just say my interest was restored. Google TV will live up to its potential.

John and I worked on several of CrunchGear’s Google TV posts together as we both have units installed at our homes. We both noted that the Chrome browser seems stripped down, almost unusable for general web browsing. This was by design. Apparently Google found from various focus groups that people preferred the full-screen experience rather than having a browser on their HDTV that showed the URL bar, tabs, and all the rest standard on a desktop browser. The primary purpose of Google TV’s browser is to watch videos, not peruse Facebook or Amazon. This might change, though.

Salahuddin commented that they are working on making “the core browser tools more accessible.” after I droned on and on about how it’s a missed opportunity to at least not have those user elements be optional. I wasn’t the only one that had a hard time finding the URL bar. (it doubles as the search bar) They seem to understand user experience is key but I’m not sure it’s a top priority like it should be, a criticism that applies to the Android Marketplace as well.

[​IMG]

I stated in our review that Google TV seems half-baked. That’s particularly true when it’s noted that apps won’t hit the system until 2011. But sometime next year, the entire Android Marketplace will appear on Google TV. Yeah, all the apps are coming to the Google TV platform: Angry Birds, Google Earth, Robo Defense. They’re committed, for better or worse, to support the entire back catalog. If you thought an iPhone app looks horrible upscaled to 2x on the iPad, just wait until the Android port hits your 50-inch LCD.

Of course I was assured that they are working on the scaling and they might look fine, but smartphone apps are fundamentally different than Google TV apps. I’m expecting a lot of disappointed GTV owners once the Android Marketplace hits the platform and they install their favorite Android smartphone apps.

But there’s going to be another sort of Android app. One designed just for Google TV and a “full range of developers” are already on board. The few apps of Pandora, NBA Gametime, Netflix are really just a proof of concept. They were included to show what Google TV could do, but I would argue that they added to the half-baked taste. Besides Netflix and Pandora, the rest are officially meh.

We talked briefly about the content provider’s stance and blocking of Google TV, but there was no hint of concern or worry like I expected. Google TV is looked upon internally as a product that works with cable, not against it. Video web portals like Hulu are just one source of content for Google TV. It also links up with Amazon VOD and Netflix, which, while they’re pay sites, do offer a fairly extensive library of content that’s free from ads. “It’s up the networks,” Salahuddin said when asked about the blocking situation.

While writing our comprehensive Google TV review, I couldn’t help but feel that the system could be a game-changer, but only if given enough time. I worried that Google wouldn’t give the platform time to mature, but those fears were somewhat subdued knowing that Sony dumped a good deal of money into developing and marketing two major products. They would keep Google on track, I thought. But after talking to Salahuddin, I feel my original fears were unfounded. Google is in this for the long haul. Google TV will be given the time it needs to grow into a consumer platform.

Oh, and my final question of “Is Google TV coming to the PS3?” was met with a surprised chuckle and quick “no comment.” So yeah, Google TV is coming to the PS3. Somehow. Maybe. I really don’t know.

Revisions: Inserted the proper name of the product manager.

by Matt Burns
    November 9, 2010
    Source

2. Stewbie2002

Stewbie2002 New Member

I would add Netflix to the half-baked list too... It's annoying that you only have access to your queue.

3. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

As per GTV Daniel
    I am also waiting to hear about the HULU plus compatibility that HULU keeps harping on. Still not free but it would be a step in the right direction.

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Stewie2002.
    You brought up a great point in Netflix.
    I currently do not belong to them as of yet, but, am looking into them now as I speak.
    When you say you only have access to your queue, you mean I have to add it to my list online, via my desktop, before I can watch my movies?
    I thought if we used the Revue thru Chrome, that would not be a problem. I assumed that since we were online thru " our " ip address, ect., we would not have to worry about such protocols that the general public, me for one, was not aware of.....
    If we have to queue thru another device, I would assume that this is just a formality at the moment, but, hey, I've been wrong before...
    I don't know, it just sounds kinda weird.
    I did call Netflix last night and asked them a couple questions, one being the Revue working thru them.. At first he wasn't sure what I was talking about, but later said, well there are so many new products out there, we are making changes all the time to each new device..
    Maybe he was covering up the fact he knew nothing, not sure... I,m going to find out more though, that's for sure..
    Thanks.. Scott

5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Both of you are 'correct'..but specifically Stewie means the Netflix 'APP' itself, has no means to navigate and add to queue like the Roku App...Roku is (to use an Apple term) seamless, by comparison, you never have to back out of the NF App to search/add/play,etc.

6. sparkyscott21

Oh, that makes sense. I was trying to piece out what was actually going on with his post and what I thought I should think should go on..
    Did you get that?? Did that make sense??

7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Totally! /in my 'dude' voice

8. sportsmom

sportsmom New Member

Please let me know if there is any way to ask Google TV and Logitech to add the Silverlight plug-in and Adobe Flash 10.0 version needed to the A-Sun sports network. I have two college athletics that I want to watch on my tv, but after purchasing both units I still can't watch due to the plug-ins needed - very disappointing. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

9. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 New Member

Mentioned in the other thread. We have ALL the Flash that is needed. The site you (and I) wish to stream content from requires an additional plugin that utilizes Windows Media Player. Silverlight may do this, but I'm not sure if Silverlight is absolutely REQUIRED.

This is the content we are trying to view:

https://asun.neulion.com/asc/console.jsp

• Like Like x 2
  10. sportsmom

sportsmom New Member

Thank you for adding the asun website - hopefully someone associated with Google TV and Logitech can help us find out who to ask about adding this additional plug-in; any idea who we could call?

Thanks again!

11. sportsmom

sportsmom New Member

I just read your entire posting - my children play for Mercer, and the youngest is playing Lipscomb this Saturday. The Neulion phone number is 1-877-967-3267 and I've spoken with them twice; they say the plug-in has to be added by Google TV. I'll try calling them again now that I have the correct name of the plug-in and will also call Sony Style. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!

12. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi sportsmom and leftbrain99,

Thanks for this feedback-- looks like a potentially very interesting feature. I've shared the issue with the rest of the team. Keep posting with any updates!

Daniel

13. sportsmom

sportsmom New Member

Thank you Daniel, I appreciate your help, and I know a lot of college sports parents will also be very appreciative.

14. jrpeau

jrpeau New Member

Nice hearing that google tv is not going to leave us with another unusable box. You said the search bar doubles as the url bar ? Everytime I try to type in a direct url add I get google search result. Am I missing something.. I am experimenting with a couple of media servers to work around the block (tverisity and playon and mezzmo.) would love to access tverisity from the browser on google tv the i could direct the stream from desktop to googletv. now I have to go to desktop add stream then find it on on google tv to play ,,,too many steps for what should be a simple point and play operation

15. annie2000mommy

annie2000mommy New Member

Hi Daniel,
    any update? I too am looking for a way to stream video from sites that use Silverlight (UFC.com and NBCSports.com). Would appreciate any help!!
    thanks!!

16. b3rusty

b3rusty New Member

Nice thread, the questions and answers from google really made me feel like 'they' care just a little about 'us' the consumer. i have a 46" GTV and love it/hate it, i also was 1 of the first to get the original g1 and now sport a g2 so i am a fan of google.

possibly not the best thread for this but please take it seriously none the less.

every saturday morning i love to listen to my weaa 88.9 (baltimore area) reggae rhythms from 10 am - 10pm est and when my radio doesn't work so well i go onto their website and stream it live through their little windows media player on their site. the station comes in crystal clear from the web and a little fuzzy on my stereo's radio tuner about 30 miles south east of b-more. i thought i would be able to stream this station through my GTV and was pretty disappointed to not be able to figure this one out on 2 separate attempts. am i missing something or will this work in the future?

the site uses 1 of 4 apps if you will to stream live radio: windows media player, public radio player, and 2 different iphone type apps. will any of these type of apps be available in a future update or available for download from the app store when ready for GTV prime-time??? thank you for your time.

BTW my wife loves the GTV more than possibly anyone else on the planet presently because she can watch all of her japanese tv shows straight from our gtv now for free (membership, we don't need no stinkin' membership¿).

~bbr

17. djangofan

djangofan New Member

Google TV comes with a nice Radio App. I dont remember the name of it, but its in the "Spotlight" section somewhere and it rocks.

18. sparkyscott21

I think it is called Tune In....
    It actually even gets radio stations I barely here in my car..
    I live in a VERY rural area, so stuff like that is more noticeable, as when cable tv came out here only about 85 or 86 or so..

19. b3rusty

b3rusty New Member

thank you but i just reconfirmed that it is not live radio. on that tune in they are just pre-recorded little segments or pod cast type radio segments. i need to be able to listen to the live stream and as far as i know there is no way for this tv to do it presently.

20. srochman

srochman New Member

2011 is a long range. When in 2011 are we supposed to see the apps that will make this Logitec box even somewhat useful?