Quantcast

A Question On Converting A USB Hard Drive to DLNA

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by anwarlucas, Aug 6, 2012.

1. anwarlucas

anwarlucas New Member

I have done some searching on google.com, and came up empty handed.
    Does anyone have any idea's or recommendations on how to convert a USB hard drive that is plugged into the Sony NSZ-GS7 into a DLNA device or NAS?
    Or if it is even possible to do this?

2. drhill

drhill Member

Buy a raspberry pi and connect it to that? I have a linux server running 24/7 at home which I use for DLNA and Plex.

3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If you want to go the cheap route and your computer is on 24/7 then I would suggest you plug the usb drive in to your computer and install plex media server and let plex index the drive as I think plex is free on the new google tv boxes. Long as your host computer can handle the transcoding it should work great as that is what I did with a 3 tb drive full of videos :)

4. anwarlucas

anwarlucas New Member

Hey, thanks for the responses, and both are definitely good suggestions, i was able to find on the market yesterday, an app by developer called "Ice Cold Apps" app name is "DLNA Server", this app works just as it would a computer. Once setup, i am able to stream audio and video from my Sony box to my PC, Android phone (droid bionic)...

In terms of setting up a NAS server on the Sony box, I am still searching for an app that will work.. The reason for this is the Music, Movies, Pictures i constantly add to my collection is on my PC.. Now instead of moving my external Hard Drive that is connected to my sony box to the PC every time i want to add my content to it. It would be more simple to "upload" or "send" my content through my home network to the usb hard drive connected to the sony box.

• Like Like x 2