Quantcast

A Lesson from Sezmi-TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by HamDog, Oct 5, 2010.

1. HamDog

HamDog Member

If you've never hear of Sezmi-TV, it's a new service that offers you a set-top box with limited Internet access (youtube, podcasts, etc.) with pay-per-view movies and shows. It also comes with a DVR and a TV tuner (ATSC). What really sets this box apart is it's capability to also get regular cable/satellite channels, such as Discovery, Animal Planet, etc. for a much lower price than your cable and satellite providers. It is only available in limited markets. It's important to note that the cable channels come through the air (need antenna) and not through the Internet.

Although I don't like set-top boxes, this one really caught my attention because it offers cable channels! I had to buy it and test it. I did a couple of YouTube video review on it:

And an update after a week of use:

The big news here is that finally we may be getting competition to cable/satellite TV operators. As my video review shows, Sezmi still has a long way to go. And they do charge you for TV shows that you can already get for free on the Internet (by going to CBS.com, Fox.com, etc.), just like Apple TV. Of course, one huge downside to Sezmi-TV is the lack of full Internet browsing capability.

Google TV needs to make a big hit. I think if they can start offering cable/satellite channels (for a fee), they will have one huge step up from the competition.

This just shows the world of new possibilities for upcoming products in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

Sweet reviews, I take it you are also into HAM radio?

3. HamDog

HamDog Member

No, a lot of friends call me a "pig" :eek: And I enjoy trading in the stock market. Hence: TraderHam, much nicer than TraderPig or TraderSwine ;)

4. HamDog

HamDog Member

I'm screwing up already....TraderHam is my stock market forums trading name! Doh! HamDog is just another favorite that goes with my "piggish" nature. I tend to browse and post to forums during boring market days.

5. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

thanks for the wonderful reviews..... I look forward to seeing your reviews on the Logitech Revue.
    (I also wouldn't like that remote, guide screen, or the choppy viewing)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  6. JohnDroid

Cool, just remember... Bulls and Bears get fed but pigs get slaughtered :)

7. its.mike

its.mike New Member

So can you explain how you get Cable channels over the air, since they require at least basic cable in most markets?

8. HamDog

HamDog Member

Sezmi broadcasts these cable channels (Discover, Animal Planet, CNBC, etc.) over the air on unused frequencies freed up by the FCC. These are only available in limited markets (I think about 7 cities nationwide - check their website). But you need a Sezmi box to decode the encrypted signal.

JohnDroid: It's "Bull make money, Bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered"! Believe me, in 5 years of full time trading, I've been a pig and gotten slaughtered many times! Maybe that's why I love bacon? :)

9. JohnDroid

Ahh yes, I butchered the quote. Loved the new Wall Street - had just enough of the old Wall Street and plenty of new current events to be a great movie. Ran a little long. Hope Michael Douglass ends up OK with the throat cancer as well.

Anyway, cheers!

10. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

Cant you get HD Video channels by just plugging in a HD antenna to your TV? I have even seen how to videos on YouTube that show you how to make a home made one.

11. JohnDroid

Yup or you can just buy an HD antennae. They are pretty cheap now. Most local stations are broadcast over the air in HD.

12. HamDog

HamDog Member

I should have been clearer. Sezmi TV gives you an HD picture on your local channels (with the amplified antenna provided in the box), but no HD on the cable channels.