Quantcast

A Good PDF App For Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 31, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi all. I had been using the free "Mobile PDF Viewer" app with GTV - however recently I have found it to be unreliable. Some of the PDF files I tried to read with the app (on my Revue) did not open - and instead I get some kind of "JAVA Error" on-screen message.

I had also tried the free PDF app "Docs Viewer" which never gives the JAVA error message - however the problem with this app has been that there was no way to make the text on the pages scroll with GTV.

Well I'm happy to report that after a few weeks of helping the app developer work on this problem today he emailed me with a solution that is working good with my Logitech Revue. Here is his email from today:

"Melting Source7:11 AM (5 hours ago)

to me
    Hello,

Could you check whether the latest version fixes things for you?

Not having a Google TV to test with is a problem, the emulator doesn't quite work like the real thing.

We've been unable to solve the problem within the app.

But instead, of handling it directly, we're opening the browser on Google TV.

We sincerely hope this helps."

* Here is a link to the Docs Viewer app in Google Play Store in case you want to check it out. Let me know how it works for you:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.meltingsource.DocsViewer

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Installed and working well on a Logitech Revue. Will install it on an NSZ-GT1 next which almost certainly won't be any different.

3. guest

guest Active Member

Thanks! With the Mobile PDF Viewer app, I could scroll down by tapping the space bar, but never figured out how to scroll back up! I just deleted it. I had used Docs Viewer in the past, but had problems with it, too. After checking it out just now, I see that it's MUCH better. The only improvement that I would make, and perhaps you can pass it on to the developer, is this: When using a Google TV, one is reading the printed word from across the room. When using the website Google Mobilizer http://google.com/gwt/n with a Google TV, one can enlarge the size of the printed word by many multiples. Even after enlarging the print to an extreme size, all the information continues to be viewable. By that, I mean that you don't have to scroll left and then right, then down, for every single line of a document - when using Google Mobilizer. With Docs Viewer, you will have that problem if you try to enlarge the printed words by very much.

So if the developer could fix that issue, then I would give it an unreserved "awesome". But even as it is, Docs Viewer is now the best, free PDF reader available for use with a GTV.

• Like Like x 2
  4. guest

guest Active Member

I just sent the following to admin at melting source. This issue is important to me. I hope Melting Source can do something about it.
    ----
    Catfishrivers, in the Google TV Forum, brought to our attention recent
    changes that have been made in your Docs Viewer aplication which make
    it MUCH more usable on a Google TV set-top box. In the following
    post, I (guest) mentioned to catfishrivers that the application would
    be awesome if one additional improvement could be made. The
    improvement has to do with the enlargement of the words in the PDF
    such that all the information remains viewable on the screen - even
    after a 10-fold enlargement! If you will go to the Google Mobilizer
    URL http://google.com/gwt/n , you will see what I mean. The Google
    Mobilizer is not for viewing PDF's, but rather for reading webpages on
    mobile or mobile-like devices - such as a Google TV. If you enter the
    URL of a webpage in the Google Mobilizer, you will see that you can
    enlarge the page many times over and that the left and right sides of
    the page will continue to remain completely viewable. Not so with the
    Docs Viewer. One is only able to increase the size of a word/letter a
    small amount. If one continues trying to increase the size of the
    page, what will happen is that the left and right sides of the page
    will "run off" the viewing screen. When that happens, in order to
    read the PDF, one would need to scroll from left to right, then right
    to left. Then down. Then repeat - for every line of the PDF!

The reason why this is important is because a Google TV is designed
    for viewing from across the room. It is important to be able to
    increase the size of the text, in order to not have to sit very close
    to the TV screen.

I don't believe that you use a Google TV, so you may not be able to
    grasp the importance of this issue for its users.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/7558-good-pdf-app-google-tv.html
    Quick Reply

5. CatfishRivers

I'm kind of thinking that they won't be able to do much more with their app unless they get a GTV for testing. The solution (for scrolling) with GTV users was that their app just defaults to the web-based Google Docs Viewer. They were unable to make GTV scrolling work within the app itself. It's still an acceptable solution for the scrolling issue though.

6. guest

guest Active Member

Here is a view of this PDF http://www.gmo.com/websitecontent/GMO_QtlyLetter_1Q2013.pdf in the following utilities:

1) Via Google's Mobiizer. This one is really the best. You can enlarge the information many times over and the printed word remains sharp and clear. The only drawback is that it doesn't render graphs and such correctly. If this was available as an app, it would make things simpler. The reason is that the PDF URL's aren't always readily available, so they need to be searched for and then entered into the Google Mobilizer. If the Google Mobilizer were an app, as well, then one wouldn't need to locate the URL first.

The Race of Our Lives A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Equilibrium

2) Via Samuraj Data, a web-based PDF converter. This one has the same failing as the Google Doc Viewer. Enlarging the text pushes the data off the left and right off the screen. As well, the sharpness/readability of the printed text deteriorates as it is enlarged. Not a pleasant reading experience. Compare the much better experience using the Google Mobilizer, in terms of readability.

Online viewer - http://www.gmo.com/websitecontent/GMO_QtlyLetter_1Q2013.pdf

3) Via Google Doc Viewer.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?embe...FHQRBoGeZD2sRdMQf9oSY3fa1-62SFtxNXDx1-pT10yWt

These are long URL's, so they may not open in your browser.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CatfishRivers

That's interesting. It appears as though this enlarging feature could be added to Google Docs viewer if Google wanted to take the time to do it. Same thing for a PDF app. However GTV app development currently goes along at a snails pace. Perhaps a "semi-solution" for the time being would be to use the Google mobilizer to do a Google search for the PDF file that you are interested in viewing - to see if Google has the "Quick-View" HTML version available? Not an ideal solution - but for now something to consider until the PDF apps or Google Docs viewer is improved upon.

8. sharonj

sharonj New Member

ia Google's Mobiizer. This one is really the best. You can enlarge the information many times over and the printed word remains sharp and clear. The only drawback is that it doesn't render graphs and such correctly.