Quantcast

A few quick questions!

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by michael.scott, Dec 30, 2012.

1. michael.scott

michael.scott New Member

So just a few questions regarding the nsz-gs7! I recently purchased the WDTV live for my gf, and the Sony NSZ-GS7 for my parents. I'm considering purchasing one for myself and I'm leaning towards sony's version of a media streamer.

1. My main concern is Cinavia. I have a PS3, this device would be to get around the Cinavia issue I encounter on my PS3. Could you tell me if this detects Cinavia?
    2. Firmware upgrades: if I want to see what is in the upgrades, does Sony's website have more description than "performance updates" that I see on my update notification?
    3. Do I have to accept upgrades?

Thanks! The only advantage the WDTV has over this one is the fact that I can play Cinavia protected files, but I'm hoping to get good news here and I can get myself this one!

2. pawdog

pawdog New Member

Isn't Cinavia the Blu-Ray DRM? The NSZ-GS7 has no Blu-Ray capabilities.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure he wants to be able to play Blu-ray copies which Cinavia is intended to prevent, no disc playback is required, only copies in file format which the NSZ-GS7 can play. I don't know the answer to the question. I have the NSZ-GT1 but don't have any Blu-ray copies to check on that model but I am pretty sure it honors Cinavia, a watermarking technique.

4. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

I does not detect cinivia, I have a ps3 as well and this is one of the reasons why I got the nsz-gs7.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

5. michael.scott

michael.scott New Member

Sorry guys haven't checked the forum in a few days. Yes, Cinavia is DRM on Blu-Ray. I have a new 2TB HDD that I connect to my PS3 to play video however I want to start ripping my Blu-Ray collection to the new HDD. As you might know, the PS3 does not play .mkv and some other formats. When you rip a Cinavia protected Blu-Ray disc, the file itself contains the protection as well. Anyhow, over the holidays I answered my own question by ripping a disc to a compatible format, trying the file on my PS3 and confirming that Cinavia kicked in and then trying it on the NSZ-GS7. The answer here is that as of the latest firmware update, it does not yet detect Cinavia! Just thought I'd update in case anyone else was wondering. Thanks!