Quantcast

A few questions for those lucky enough to find one

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by FTLOSM, Aug 16, 2013.

1. FTLOSM

FTLOSM New Member

I have had zero luck finding a chromecast, I have it ordered on amazon but no info on when it might ship even, I am not paying someone double or more for one off craigslist either ugh.

My first question is about multiple chromecasts, if I have one on 2 different tvs and i send a video from say youtube can I choose which device to send it to?

Second, would I put this into my av receiver hdmi as an input vs directly into a blank hdmi port so i could still use the surround sound etc, I guess I wondered if it went thru the av receiver that maybe it wouldn't change the device to the right inputs etc.

Just seems like fun inexpensive way to get video from the phone or ipad to the tv, now to just find even ONE to start messing with!

Bill

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Yes. “cast button” (pull-down-menu) lists all Chromecast devices.

Yes. will auto change inputs (if HDMI-CEC is enabled in TV& AVR) - more here …

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am going to try to set up my AVR to work in this manner today but I hope there is no reason to turn on HDMI-CEC on the TV. I had it on for about a week, the TV was often powered on when I wanted it off by one or more of the devices connected. I am not certain my Yamaha RX-V471 with Roku, 2 Google TV boxes, TiVo and Chromecast connected will properly switch inputs by HDMI-CEC. The RX-V471 is connected to HDMI 1 on the TV so no switching is necessary with the TV and I can't think of any reason I would have to turn HDMI-CEC back on.

As far as the Chromecast I am lucky to own, the optimized apps work well but nothing else works well and I don't need the Chromecast for YouTube, Netflix or Google Play Movies, TV or Music. It does show great promise if additional apps are added and work as well but I am hopeful Google TV will soon be updated to double as a full featured Chromecast device and Chromecast will be redundant for me at that time.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

You do have to enable HDMI-CEC with the CC (if you're using URC or original remotes).

Btw, Chromecast volume control (from tablets, PCs etc.) doesn't need HDMI-CEC enabled.

Sn, Samsung GALAXY Tab 2 has a built-in IR blasters & remote app.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013