Quantcast

A Dissatisfied Sony Customer (Not Google TV)

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by CircusDad, Jan 22, 2011.

1. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

I got the Sony NSZ-GT1 on a black friday sale and to be honest, wouldn't have bought the Logitec box since it didn't come with the blu ray player. I suppose I should be thankful to Sony for that. They sold the only combo I would have purchased. The blu ray with google TV is what made it a good value. That said, I have been very disappointed with Sony. (Not Google TV, I knew what I was getting with that, this post is about the Sony offering and level of Sony support).

They have provided a product inferior to Logitec in almost every way. It will be highlighted most distinctly this Sunday when I go through the trouble to tear apart my entertainment center to pull out the Sony box before the AFC Championship game. The last Sony update created an intermittent stuttering problem that appears when watching sports content. I hosted a party last week and it was a problem throughout the game. Many people have complained about it. The problem was started by a Sony update (doesn't happen to the logitecs) so we know it is something they can fix. It has been weeks and they still have not fixed it. The occasional problem is ok. It's a new product, I get that. But at the core this product is about TV so DON'T MESS WITH THE TV. This problem is so irritating it should have been fixed no more then three days after the update. Nope, instead, when I hosted a playoff party last week it continually stuttered blemishing the experience for all. But that's not all. The following list describes ways in which Sony support has fallen behind logitec:
    • media player is inferior
    • No NTSF support
    • mouse on remote is unreliable (other then that I do think the Sony remote is better)
    • "powerful" search does not include DLNA content
    • "powerful" search does not include Netflix content
    • no iphone app (Logitec does)
    • 5 channel sound passthrough is only beta (kind of a nit but it was late to arrive)

In addition. when google tv comes out with an update, we always seem to get it after logitec gets theres. Logitec is not without its problems but this product is about evolution. It's bleeding edge and the reason we like it is because it will update and get better over time. Given that fact, Logitec seems to be showing that they will evolve faster.

Sony needs to step up to the plate. Google TV will be available from alot of vendors. It's good to be first but it's not good to be lapped by your competitor (especially when there is only one at this point). Time to step up Sony. Fixing the skipping issue would be a great start!!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey sorry to here that, whenever I get a new update on my Android phone I do a Factory Reset, and now I do the same thing with my Google TV. You might try a reset on your GTV box. Just go to Settings-About-Factory Data Reset, this fixed my Sony 40" GTV.

Hope this helps :)

3. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

Thanks Lucas710. I will definitely try that and get back to the post...

4. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

Ok.... I did it. I'll leave the Sony box in for the 3 o'clock game and make a final decision before the main event (Steelers vs. Jets).

FYI - I had expected the reset would put me back at the original software version and thus require an update right away. Didn't work like that. I did loose all my presets, bookmarks, logins..... as expected. But never lost the already updated software. I wonder if it will still work given that fact. We'll see.

5. ntranch@earthlink.net

ntranch@earthlink.net New Member

i dont want to be a downer but i have done the reset with no improvement. I have noticed that if i leave the sony nsz gt1 on it seems to help. i usually turn both the box and tv off so i am going to give this one more try before I return it.

6. srramalot

srramalot New Member

Besides Logitech being more ahead of Sony, what really pisses me off is the fact that you cant even CONTACT Sony about anything. The customer support tells me if I want to request new features, or request changes to the current model, that I need to HAND WRITE, thats right, HAND WRITE, a letter and SEND via SNAIL MAIL to an office in California, WTF is that?!! They cant document them over the phone, they cant give me an email address, I need to BUY STAMPS?!!! I want to throw this thing out the window already and forget Google TV exists. If Sony doesnt fix these isses in the next update, Im DONE

7. harley man

harley man New Member

sorry to all problems you sony gtv guys are haveing i almost got the sony bulray gtv now i am glad i got revue not say it is perfect but is geting better

8. bobbalinks

bobbalinks New Member

Do you lose your bookmarks and queue whenyou reset? Thanks

9. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Yes, you will lose bookmarks and queue, but if you are having major problems then it might be worth it.

UPDATE, I just found out if you have a Gmail account Synced, then your Queue should be saved, also your Picasa Web Albums.
    To find out if your Account is synced go to Settings - Account & sync - click on your account, here you can check the box Sync Queue and Sync Picasa Web Albums.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011