Quantcast

A couple of weeks in after cutting the cord

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by jm8254og, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jm8254og

jm8254og New Member

So I am a couple of weeks in after ditching cable and going with a revue, a channel master dvr and ota channels. I actually enjoy tv more than before. Redux is cool to throw on and I find myself looking up from some other distraction to watch a cool clip more often then usual. Being able to get to ota tv with a button push and control all my devices with one remote/keyboard is the way to go. I know the goal of GTV is not to replace a cable subscription but it adds enough to ota to make it comparable to what I would assume is the average cable service. I tried an htpc, a boxee, a roku, and I have a ps3 and I am still happy with my decision on GTV. I guess the main reason I posted this is because I read so many negative post on the product while making s decision I wanted put something out there that says the product works for me and better the others I tired. You don't get the soap channel for your GF and you don't get comedy central for south park and so on but you know it's gonna make it in a medium you can find eventually and there is way neater stuff out there if you just try it. Either way GTV would make a killer addition to a cable service. So all the stuff you may read that GTV is an epic fail... Well best buy has a good return policy so be your own judge on this one.

• Like Like x 2
  2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

A great addition when cutting cable in my mind is a year long subscription to netflix :) That way you can use your revue to catch up on tv series that you might not have seen and it works with google tv while waiting for hulu to get their act together and allow google users to use it without resorting to playon.tv

3. CKBlack007

CKBlack007 New Member

How is the Channel Master unit continuing to work for you? Does it integrate with the Revue/Google Search of shows? Do you get a catalog of shows when you review the television guide in a DVR styled manner?

I'd love to cut the cord from DirectTV. All I need is local TV and I am in the middle of SF so I doubt there will be signal issues. I need, however, DVR and a good guide to flip through. I'd really like it all to work from my Revue controlpad or Harmony.

Lastly, if you have all this, who did you buy from?

4. geektonic

geektonic New Member

I'm assuming the lack of sports isn't an issue for you? That's the main reason I haven't tried cutting the cord. That and streaming is still pretty weak PQ wise.

5. CKBlack007

CKBlack007 New Member

I can't speak for the original poster, but my sports interests are just with one NFL team on the east coast. They just don't show them in SF unless we are playing them or if they are on Monday night. I left this issue to Bittorrent. I hate it, but the alternative is way too expensive to see just one game a week.

6. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

I myself am over 90 days without any type of cable..Just OTA and Googletv ..Not too bad ..not really bad at all actually..

And this is after leaving D*sh with two 722k and a usb sling.

Just my thoughts

Kev

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Nuthin but streaming and dvd's for 4+ years now...HULU+ commercials suck, but they're the ONLY commercials I ever see! (Roku box). Regular/Pay TV is a waste of time AND money.

8. CKBlack007

CKBlack007 New Member

So I made the plunge too. I got the Channel Master 7000 PAL DVR and shut off my satellite. I have gone a week so far and it is working out, but then again we are in the season of re-runs so I am not doing a lot of heavy viewing from regular TV.

The biggest shortcoming I can see at this point is I cannot identify and DVR only first-run premiere episodes. For example, set the DVR to record Simpsons and watch your DVR fill up in a week. I don't see a way to only DVR the new episodes.

Another strange shortcoming is NBC is not shot from my local tower. For those of you not familiar, I can see Sutro Tower from my house which services all of San Francisco. I, therefore, used a $20 antenna I got from Radio Shack to attach to the unit and all the big channels come in perfectly clear, EXCEPT NBC. For some reason, NBC does not broadcast from the tower so I do not get NBC. I guess if it was the 1990's, I would be pretty upset, but it isn't and there are no shows on NBC that I can think that I would miss. I don't feel the need to get a better antenna just for one station. It is still kind of strange they do not broadcast from Sutro. From my understanding, Sutro Tower is there to do just this - broadcast TV and radio into the valleys of SF. There is probably an interesting story that explains this gap, but I have not found it.

Otherwise, I am loving it - particularly when I engage the Logitech Harmony app on one of my phones. I don't have complete control of the Channel Master, but I do get the basic controls - channel, guide, dvr through the Logitech Revue remote and Harmony app.

Summary: Channel Master 7000PAL DVR with cheap antenna to Logitech Revue split to Sony 5.1 Receiver and TV. Meets expectations. I will report back periodically.

9. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Yep! According to Wiki, NBC chose to broadcast from San Bruno Mountain, 6+ miles away, so it doesn't penetrate the hills as well as Sutro:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutro_Tower
    I
    haven't seen NBC programming in years, and I'm certain I haven't missed much at all. :p

10. koopakid08

koopakid08 New Member

The only show I watch on TV is on NBC so that would be major pain for me.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

11. bidger

bidger Member

You've missed "The Office", "30 Rock", "Community" and "Parks and Recreation". Thursday night on NBC is the best night of comedy on TV.

12. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Love Community :) It has gotten better the longer it has been on. Also another NBC show I like that was not mentioned is Chuck :)

13. koopakid08

koopakid08 New Member

Don't forget Chuck

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

14. FreeTVGuy

FreeTVGuy New Member

I live in San Leandro(Bay Area) and bought the Channel Master PAL for $299 at Walmart. It's been great....I use strictly OTA with Netflix and the Channel Master....works like it says. I record late night and early tv shows and watch when I want. Yes it has a DVR styled guide. Not sure abouyt the Revue/Google Search

15. FreeTVGuy

FreeTVGuy New Member

The Channel Master CM7000PAL continues to work very well for me.....no reason to go back to subscription TV. I'm not sure about the Google/Revue guide you are referring to. It does have a DVR TV Guide which works well and is adjustable. I bought the unit at Walmart onliine, $299 plus tax, delivered to the local Walmart. I get most stations in the Bay Area except Concord(blocked by the East Bay hills) and Santa Rosa stations.
    Great investment for me.....no monthly costs!

16. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

No biggie for me as I don't watch comedies. I have cable mainly for sports. I figure the cost to attend one professional sports game is more than the cost of basic cable.

I recently got the Revue. Its nice but it was never worth the $250 price tag. $99 is the right price. It still is rather rough around the edges. I hope the honeycomb update smooths everything out. I guess we will see soon. One thing that google needs to take note from apple: improve the interface. That is where apple normally excels and the competition fails.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  17. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I dropped DirecTV after 12 years in 2009, simply because of cost, years of slight increases accumulated to more than I was willing to pay. I immediately purchased a TiVoHD with lifetime and put an antenna on the roof and along with the various streaming options with TiVo and Blu-ray and DVD for movies, I was able to get by. I just added Google TV and things got better. The combination of OTA/Google TV isn't as good as DirecTV for me but I like it well enough that I no longer will sit down with the DirecTV offers I get in the mail and try to decide whether or not to hook it back up.