Quantcast

A couple of quirks

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by MikeG, Oct 3, 2012.

1. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Hi, just signed up so I could ask about some issues I'm encountering with my new NSZ-GS7. First, I really like and want to love it forever, but there are a couple of things that are giving me problems I would like to get some help with. First, I have the Sony box set to turn on my tv (Panasonic viera plasma), which in turn is set to turn on my Sony soundbar. I also have a DirecTV box which I can control with the Sony Google remote, but have to go through the settings to turn on/off. Not ideal, but no biggie. My sony google tv is set to turn on/off when I turn off the tv/soundbar. It does this ok, but even when it's turned off and the led light is clearly off, the menu still pops up as if it's on if I don't use the Sony remote to turn it on, and the led light is not even on. I know this sounds convoluted, but my wife is used to just using the Directv remote to control the tv functions, which includes its own built in Netflix app. I assured her she could just continue to use it the old way without having to learn a new remote, but that menu bar always appears so she can't use the tv the old way unless she navigates to live tv with the sony remote. It's perplexing why this pops up even when the sony box is "off". Also, it often pops up with netflix automatically loading, even if that wasn't the last thing that was being used. It seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. Little things like this bother me and make me worry about the longterm viability of this product, since I've only had it a week and I've already encountered several quirks. I've had the remote touchpad stop working (no arrow to navigate with) that I had to unplug the unit. That seems to be working ok now, but stuff keeps popping up. Sometimes the remote seems to not function, and then all of a sudden cycles through several commands as if it got backed up. Weird and wiggy stuff. Any advice is much appreciated.

2. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

In settings try turning the quick start off. This turns the box completely off. You would have to remember to turn the box on to have the rest of the functions working.

The box is still on if the quick start is set.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I leave my Sony in standby mode all the time and haven't had a problem with it just popping up out of the blue, but you can always put the Sony on a separate input so it won't effect your normal TV watching. Pressing any button on the remote will bring the Sony out of standby. Once the firmware updated a couple of weeks ago, my Sony seemed to settle down and has been pretty stable. When using the keyboard, you do need to make sure you trip the sensor by holding the keyboard horizontal to the Earth for a moment. Initially I had some problems with flash sites and the remote locking up, but that seems to have gone away, and could be solved by just taking the battery out of the remote. I haven't had to pull power on my Sony in a long time. So keep in mind, unless you're doing some strange things app wise and you have the latest firmware - you may just have a flaky unit.

4. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Thanks for the replies. I've read through the sticky notes as well, so when I get a chance to play around with the settings I'll try to see if I can get things ironed out.

5. MikeG

MikeG New Member

So I've gone back and forth with a couple of different set ups to see what worked best. I didn't have the HDMI cables properly configured at first, but it was working so I didn't realize that was the issue. I also had an HDMI switch that I thought I needed in the equation at one point. Well, the switch came in handy in that it allowed me to separate the google tv from the tv/directv functions. I just used the first port on the switch for the google tv and then it didn't turn on if I just wanted to watch tv using the Directv remote. Of course, then my wife decided she was fine using the google tv remote, so I took the switch out and just plugged the hdmi directly into the tv's hdmi 2 port (directv out goes into google tv in, google tv out to tv hdmi 2 in). I use my tv's hdmi 1 for my sony soundbar, since that port has the audio return control (ARC) function. So we get the google menu now when we turn the tv on, but that's ok. I have had some issues where the live tv function doesn't work or is just reallllllly slow to activate. Instead of switching to live tv, it would just sit on a black screen--no audio or video from the satellite signal. Unplugging the google tv would bring it back, or sometimes it would pop up eventually. Usually this happens on first startup. Once it's running a while it seems to be ok. I don't know what that's all about. It didn't seem to happen when I was using the hdmi switch. Just another annoying quirk I would love to eliminate.

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

7. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Thanks. I've tried a couple of those things. This is very difficult to troubleshoot, because the box has to be off for a while for the quirks to appear. So if I change a setting or configuration, I pretty much have to wait until the next day to see if the problem is still there. So far I've tried setting the resolution to 720p, which is actually the native resolution for my Panasonic plasma. I figured that may have been the issue, but the next day I got the live tv black screen again. So yesterday I tried pulling the plug on my tv, my directv box, and the google tv box and then switched up the hdmi cords before powering everything up again. Of course, everything worked upon rebooting, but then it always came back after rebooting even if I didn't change anything. The trick is to see if the problem is there when I turn on the tv for the first time later today. If it is, I don't know what else to try other than going back to adding the hdmi switch. It seems having the google tv box on its own port eliminates this issue. Of course, than I can't get the google tv box to turn on/off with the tv with one push of a button. At least that didn't work last time I had it configured that way. One more week before I can't return this thing. I'd really like to find a fix before then, otherwise it's going to be a tough decision.

8. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Well, yesterday I got home from work and hit the power button on my Google tv remote. The tv/soundbar came on instantly as usual, then I hit the guide button a couple of times (always takes more than one press for some reason) and prayed the black screen of death would not be present. I got live tv from my Directv receiver just fine. So far, the reconfiguring of the hdmi cables seems to have corrected the problem, but I'm going to give it a few more days before I declare this problem solved. There was also apparently a software update of some sort that could've helped too--who knows. This may be the first time that switching cables has actually fixed something for me. :cool: