Quantcast

A cord cutter’s dream come true: Comcast offers HBO without cable service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sparkyscott21, Oct 26, 2013.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

It happened, cord cutters… it really happened. Following a report from DSLReports, it appears as though Comcast has made a new Internet service plan available in some markets that really is a cord cutter’s dream come true. The new offering, dubbed “Internet Plus,” bundles 25Mbps Internet service with HBO GO, local TV channels and Comcast’s Streampix streaming movie and TV show service for $40 per month to for a year. The service then jumps to $70 per month after the first 12 months, which is still a bargain for cord cutters compared to other options out there (personally, I pay Time Warner Cable $60 each month just for 30Mbps Internet service with no TV package). The new Internet Plus service is not available in all areas, it would seem, but it will go a long way to answer the prayers of many cable subscribers who have dreamed of ditching all of the filler in their cable TV bundles but couldn’t survive without Sookie, Nucky and the Khaleesi. A screenshot of Comcast’s unicorn follows below.

[​IMG]

10-26-13

Bgr.com

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Scott

The move to the internet is unavoidable. I expect to see the expensive set top boxes begin to be replaced w/personal streaming devices. Cable would do well to use their fiber optic lines for Broadband exclusively. In the future I expect their will no longer be cable companies, only Internet Service Providers w/the Networks determining ala carte subscription fees and services.

I've always hated how my bill jumped to $600.00 whenever I cancelled services, until I returned the cable box. Cloud and personal DVR devices can easily replace the clunky cable DVR boxes and TIVOs. As folks move away from traditional cable services, sports will soon follow suit. A game available on the NFL Network only or exclusive to ESPN (like Monday Night Football) will no longer make sense, if it still does now. I believe folks are willing to pay for such services minus the tier and bundling being offered currently.

Yep, it's happening...

Carl

3. J_Is_Freezing

J_Is_Freezing New Member

Hi all. You guys have saved my ass a few times now, so I figured I'd join.

I checked this offer out, and it's for "new customers only."
    (What a surprise. :rolleyes:)

... like always, Comcast doesn't care about current customers, only sucking in new ones.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

All the cable companies are doing this. New subscribers are now the focus rather than rewards for loyalty as was the case in the past. I actually resorted to dropping cable whenever the bill inched up beyond what I am willing to pay. A month later I always get an offer for half price for six months or even better deals. Of course I'm listed as a new subscriber so that Cox can boost their numbers game for the quarter.

Now I've dropped them altogether. BTW Verizion DSL sucks...

Lol

Carl

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

HBO?s no-cable experiment goes nowhere: Netflix handily beats HBO Nordic in Sweden ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - Nov. 20, 2013

Summary: HBO Nordic isn't getting much love in Sweden, where a recent survey found Netflix more than ten times as popular.

-- Remember HBO Nordic? The Northern European offspring made some headlines when it debuted last year, primarily because it marks the first time that HBO has sold a subscription to its programming without tying it to a pay TV service. At the time, some speculated that this could be a blueprint for an online-only HBO service in the United States.

Well, don't hold your breath: HBO Nordic doesn't seem to be doing so well, at least according to a recent MMS consumer survey. That survey found that in Sweden, only 68,000 people have access to HBO Nordic, which makes it one of the least popular paid video services (hat tip to Broadband TV News). According to the survey, only 17,000 people access HBO Nordic every day.

Netflix, on the other hand, is available to 864,000 Swedes, and 308,000 use it every day, both of which makes it the most popular paid video service in Sweden. Netflix is competing with services like Viaplay, the Modern Times Group's online video service, which is available to 633,000 people in Sweden, according to MMS.

Bad news for HBO is good news for Netflix, as it looks like the company's international expansion is working, at least outside of Latin America. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said during a recent earnings call that he eventually wants to generate 70 to 80 percent of his company's revenue in international markets.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Google Fiber just can't come soon enough for me so that these media monoplies feel some hurt, but the reality is most likely going to take a generation before it's widely available.

7. ericd

ericd Active Member

If you think Comcast's rough on current customers, you should check out Time Warner. I remember when brand loyalty actually mattered.