Quantcast

A.C. Ryan Veolo Smart Android Hub

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by eferz, Dec 3, 2011.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Scoup Du Jour

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post. It looks interesting. However I went to their web site - and it doesn't appear as though it's offered for sale anywhere in the USA yet.

It seems to have some positive reviews - it's probably better than the Chinese android boxes. The remote looks nice!

However I noticed that it runs android 2.2 and has the 1 Ghz ARM 9 processor. (This is the same processor and OS that a lot of the Chinese android boxes have - and some of those reportedly have difficulty streaming some Flash videos and HD stuff. So I'd be a bit worried if the processor is really powerful enough).

I wonder if an independent company such as this can really make a better product than an 'officially sanctioned' GTV product?

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The problem with the juxtaposing that lone specification is that it does not indicate which ARM9 processor they're using. There are so many iterations of that processor specification that it is difficult to make a performance evaluation alone. For example, the Texas Instrument OMAP 4 platform which is certified by Netflix for 1080p streaming application with end-to-end protection on a mobile device uses an ARM9 processor. However, it does help to know that the processor in the Veolo is also supported by hardware acceleration which is necessary to off-load CPU cycles to perform software support.