Quantcast

720P versus 1080P TV's - Viewing Text

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Jun 13, 2015.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Last month, I had read online somewhere that "the difference between 720p and 1080p is much more obvious on 50" and larger TV's". I believe that statement was made in reference to video and not text, though. Since then, I've been researching 50" 1080p TV's. There are some great deals out there. But the following comment in a Google Chromebox/Chromebook forum implies that it may not be necessary for me to pay the extra money for a 1080p TV! It is saying that their Chromebox's 1280X720 display resolution setting is better for viewing (text) across the room than the default 1920X1080 display setting. Apparently, the text is too small on the1080 setting?! My primary use of the internet is for viewing text, not video.

"Issue description: This chromebox has been connected to our 42 inch Vizio since we bought it in late 2014 and it has worked great until within the past few days (Since 4/27/2015, maybe?). The display settings revert to 1920x1080 whenever a user logs out. We log in and change the resolution to 1280x720 so that we can view the screen from across the living room, "accept" the changes and it stays at that resolution as long as we're logged in. But, if we log off (Ctrl+Shift+Q twice), the resolution reverts back to 1920x1080 which is too small to easily see from across the living room. This only started happening in the past couple of days. Did a recent update cause this behavior?"
    Google Groups

2. guest

guest Active Member

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

A 1080p display can still display 720p. It shouldn't look any worse than if the Chromebox had an option to just increase the size of everything. Getting the Chromebox to use 720p and stay there, otoh, sounds like it may require a workaround or bug fix.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sounds like this is another case of Google not thinking things through carefully - and this is their attempt to "automatically" give viewers the highest resolution. In other words it's Google's attempt to make things "easier". Seems like they forgot about viewers using TVs to view text. They just thought everyone is better off automatically being switched over to 1080P when they log off/in.