Quantcast

2014 will be the end of new Windows 7 PCs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sparkyscott21, Dec 7, 2013.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

If you’re looking to buy a new PC and you hate the idea of looking at Live Tiles, then you’d better get a new PC within the next year or so. As ZDNet points out, Microsofthas told its manufacturing partners that they can keep selling new Windows 7-based PCs through October 30th, 2014, which means that by this time next year every new PC that OEMs release will come preloaded with Windows 8. Microsoft has also announced that it’s officially stopped selling Windows 7 box copies at retail.

Windows 8 has had a bumpy ride over its first year as its growth has seemingly stalled andWindows 7 adoption is still growing at a faster pace than Windows 8 adoption. Of course, Microsoft may release a Windows 8.2 update sometime next year that will go even further in appeasing Metro UI haters than Windows 8.1 did so you may not need to scramble to scoop up the last remaining Windows 7 PCs after all.

12-7-13

bgr.com

2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

It's always a case of being difficult to "teach an old dog new tricks" when new major OS is released. All one has to do is install one of many Windows 7 shell programs such as Classic shell. Not a big deal at all in my opinion. The only time I see it being a pain is if you have hardware/software that used to work on Win7 but no longer works on Win8.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

That is as long as they let you upgrade - or if you're willing to re-install. Some folks love re-installing - they seem to think Windows can't be stable unless they re-install every year or so. Personally, my current install under XP dates back to Windows 3.1 (if not earlier).