Quantcast

2 strikes and out

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Bdad, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Bdad

Bdad New Member

I've now tried two (2) Costar units and both had the same challenges:
    1) On our Vizio L37HDTV ~10% of the screen was off the edges. No matter what we tried nothing fixed it

2) No sound. Running an HDMI cable from the CS to the TV HDMI no sound. Plug my Roku in and all works fine (normal picture and full sound)

3) Tried getting the CS to work on a Hiteker (BestBuy) 32" which is new. The CS wasn't recognized and wouldn't go through the setup process. (The Roku worked just fine)

Spent a total of over 2 hours on the phone with Vizion tech (they were courteous and made every effort to help). To get a replacement unit I had to give them my CC# for expedited turnaround (which included a UPS label for the return of the first unit). When the 2nd unit didn't work they were going to make me pay for return and a 10% restocking fee. I refused, the tech talked with a supervisor and they are submitting for a refund without either charge.

For whatever reason the CS just didn't work for me so I'll stick with the Roku.

2. plac

plac New Member

Mine worked straight out of the box on my Vizio televisions. The technology is new & still has a lot of bugs in it, which is why I decided to keep this Vizio "first generation" box until the next models come out. I had bought the Sony box first, $240, which was the real nightmare (just read the reviews).

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google TV has been around since 2010. I have two different Sony Google TV models and can operate either without any issues on different displays, the problems some report can only be explained as a result of an inability to properly set up and use the device. I also own two different Roku models, very easy to set up and use but very limited compared to Google TV, which does so much more and does require greater effort and knowledge to use. I do like Roku really well and don't hesitate to recommend Roku for those that want the things it does.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bdad

Bdad New Member

Inability to set up and use the device? Really? Although I have no need to explain I did everything the tech reps had me to 3x before I called them. The first tech rep offered nothing new but we did everything he asked and the unit was judged, by Vizio as faulty. The second unit fit the screen fine but didn't provide sound. I again went through everything 2x myself before I called. The second tech rep had me repeat everything already done multiple times. She then talked to the Engineer who said to return the unit.

I'll match my tech ability against 98% of the population so the issue isn't "inability to set up and use the device". I do find it irritating when someone makes a broad sweeping statement without having any facts or information to make their judgement with. When I see sweeping statements I judge that the person has little knowledge themselves but thinks they are smart.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Pretty funny, I have set up 6 Google TV devices on various displays, all work properly and none have the absurd issues you encountered. You have tried and failed twice and whined about it, returned the products and shoud be done, no further problems with Google TV should be encountered by you. You concluded I have little knowledge because i couldn't screw things up as you did? Too funny to imagine, glad I got to see it in writing.

6. plac

plac New Member

My earlier nightmare with the Sony had me initially negative, but when I began to look for replacements, I realized that the CoStar was about the best one out there still (minor bugs).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I think this was a case of your TV controls not being in sync w/the units. CSRs do get things wrong. If I had returned every unit I ever bought at the recommendation of the CSRs I've dealt w/I'd never have found a unit that worked. Sometimes the problem is too simple for the techs. I just went wireless & the assistance I got made me think the router was defective. I hung in there troubleshooting until I got it up & running. Ya don't have to be a technical dummy to overlook the simple. This becomes more likely the more tech savvy ya get.

One tech told my friend he needed to replace the motherboard on his computer. I came by and told him to unplug the computer from the Power strip and plug it directly into the socket. Man, he made me feel smart for a while...

Carl

8. Bdad

Bdad New Member

I also have a Sony Google TV which works fine. After stumping 2 techs we moved to one of the Engineers who finally said to return the unit. We went through every option one by one and through the series of two units reset it to factory 5 times. Whether there is an issue with my LCD37HDTV (Vizio) or whether there is a compatability problem with some brands of T's (Heiteker from BB) when the 2nd unit would not even pair with the remote after having done so through multiple resets it was time to quit.

I looked forward to the CoStar so I could use one device to control the TV and the CS (but apparently my 2005 model Vizio is too old for that feature) AND so I could have a browser to use (since the Roku doesn't). Unfortunately it is not to be. That's not saying that when the device matures, software updates come out, etc., that It might not be worth trying again but the customer service follow up ended any interest on my part from trying again. I own 2 Vizio TV's but won't buy another.

9. Carlszone

Bdad

Well said...

Tell ya what. I have a Hisense Pulse coming hopefully by Saturday. I will set it up and see how easy it is from a non-user perspective. But I'm telling ya, the Vizio unit ya had was probably working just fine. Ya simply gotta stop relying on the customer Service Representatives for these devices and TVs. They don't know the systems they are hired to support!

Let us try and work ya through the problems. But the minute ya call a device in, yer in the hands of some of the worst folks to advise on any device on the planet. Geeze, ya wanna know who yer talking to? just ask em about their kids or anything personal. The so-called tech is two years behind on his mortgage and years behind in child support and took the Dang job just to make ends meet. He don't give a fig about yer device nor has he/she taken the time to get to know it.

Carl

10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Carl I'm looking forward to your review of the Hisense Pulse -:)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bdad

Bdad New Member

Before I called Vizio CS (for both units) I went through every step, every option and mixed tv and CS settings. The second unit appeared to solve the picture issue in that everything could be seen on the screen (with the first one about 10% was off the screen). Neither unit would provide sound but my Roku would using the same HDMI cable. In trying to get the 2nd unit to provide sound the tech rep asked me to reset to factory and when we did the 2nd unit's picture went off the edges of the screen like the first (~10%) and no number of resets or changes would get it to show fully on the screen again. In neither case could we get sound to work. The last straw was on the 2nd unit when the remote would no longer pair in the setup process. We removed the batteries, we reset the controller, we reset without removing batteries...we tried every combination we could think of and the pairing just wouldn't work anymore.

I tried both units on the Heiteker. I could not get the TV to recognize the CS no matter what I tried.

I build my own PC's, I started an internet service in the early 90's, I worked for MS for 3 years when they start MSN, I do tech work for other people and II reported to me for 1/2 of a 1000 employee company. I've set up run Novel networks, played with Linux and am comfortable with Window OS's (but I stay away from Apple). In short I'm dangerous enough that I can almost always fix things. In this case I admit defeat. When I worked with the Vizio tech people I had already done everything they had me try...they literally offered nothing new.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Carlszone

Geeze, thanks Bdad,

Can I ask ya something before I let ya go from yer Google TV nightmare? Did the CSRs seem to know the unit? How would ya rate their knowledge of the unit?

I talked to one of their CSRs and I was livid w/the way I was treated. But I wasn't calling as a customer, but just as a GTV user concerned about all the complaints on this board.

Thanks

Carl

13. plac

plac New Member

To you guys putting down Vizio with the "never again" comments, let me say that the new 2013 model 1080px televisions are about to hit the shelves, any day now, and I can't wait to get my hands on two of them.

14. Carlszone

Have at it..

15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

16. Bdad

Bdad New Member

I actually found them to be ok. There were some things I seemed better informed about than them but on the vast majority they were solid. I have some CS center experience and actually am pretty critical of poor phone service.