Quantcast

2 Google Play Store Apps installed

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by qw545, Apr 13, 2012.

1. qw545

qw545 Member

I happened to notice that I have 2 different versions of the Google Play Store installed. The versions are 1.2 and 3.5.16. Is there a problem having the two versions and if so how can it be remedied?

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

If your google tv is like mine layout wise, one of the google play store apps is in your menu of choices with netflix and one is under all apps. If your a neat freak I would say leave the one on the menu line alone and just delete the one under the all apps menu. I have 2 of them too since I restored my google tv to it's default settings and it added the second icon.

I myself will probably leave it alone instead of deleting it as I never know if it will be needed or not :)

3. qw545

qw545 Member

Being a system app it can't be uninstalled. I have been able to de-list it from the apps menu, so that I don't inadvertently use v 3.5.16 since it is a much larger app than the v. 1.2. The place where the two versions become problematic is when using the Play Store website. When you search for an app from the website an option is provided to either use the app or the browser. This is where I discovered I had two versions of the store app. The choices to complete the search from the web version of the store are the browser and both of the versions of the app. By choosing the wrong app (the larger one) the site gets very slow and then freezes requiring a reboot. To eliminate that problem simply choosing the browser as the default for any action within the web Play Store is the solution. When I choose to use the website instead of the app I want to use the browser anyway, so that is an effective method. Now the only place where the two versions are found is when using the Manage Applications page.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Whenever you find that you have two versions of the same App/Update you should delete both if the option exists. If not, just delete everything you can. Cache, Defaults, Cookies, etc., anything that has to do w/the App or upgrade. Two versions of any App or Update will always conflict one w/the other. But please do not do a Factory Reset. While it is the easier option, most times it is an act of overkill. The simplest solution is to uninstall. Yeah, I know you can't uninstall preloaded Apps. But the system doesn't know this. So, if you see the option to delete. DELETE!

But ya gotta get rid of one of dem versions...

The NBA App was an early indicator of the bugs in this system. For months many of us had that stupid App in the Update section with no way to update it. It consistantly said 'Incompatible whenever we clicked on 'Update.' But a user posted that we could uininstall it and when it comes back as all preinstalled Apps do, it would return in the Updated version. It worked!

Carl