Quantcast

2 GHz Amlogic S802 Brings More Speed To Android TV Boxes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 13, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2 GHz Amlogic S802 brings more speed to Android TV boxes - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Feb. 13, 2014

-- Chinese companies have been cranking out Android-powered set-top-boxes and TV sticks for a few years, with most of the best models in the past year powered by Rockchip RK3188 quad-core processors. But there may be a new performance champ in town.

Amlogic's new S802 processor is an ARM Cortex-A9 quad-core CPU with Mali 450 graphics. It runs at speeds up to 2 GHz, and early tests suggest it could be noticeably faster than an RK3188 chip.

The processor also handles display resolutions up to 3840 x 2160. And at least two new set top boxes featuring the chip should be available in the coming months.

Geekbuying plans to sell the Tronsmart Vega S89, a hockey puck-shaped box with an Amlogic S802 processor, Android 4.4 KitKat software, and 2GB of RAM.

The box has 16GB of built-in storage, 2 USB ports, a micro USB port, micro SD card slot, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11n WiFi, HDMI 1.4b, and S/PDIF. There's an IR sensor for use with a remote control.

See more at: http://liliputing.com/2014/02/2-ghz-amlogic-s802-brings-more-speed-to-android-tv-boxes.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

No matter what brand is slapped on the outside most electronics will be made in China anyways but support/service after the sale is important too! Thats why I'm more excited about the new chrome boxes that's coming from major manufacturers in 2014.Keep all the info coming Mr. CatfishRivers! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

AmLogic is more respected in general than RokChip, but it seems to come down to is whether there will be reliable and optimized video drivers and decoders released for the chipset. It doesn't seem like RokChip ever got there. otoh, AmLogic based devices haven't been selling for <$50.

4. alexxxfay

alexxxfay New Member

Yes, but never to judge too hush, I have searched out the review of Tronsmart Vega S89. blog. geekbuying .com

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't own a videodisc player with a recent AMLogic chip but historically AMLogic decoding, deinterlacing, and video processing has been poor based on independent testing compared to the standard setters like Marvell, Silicon Optix, and Anchor Bay Technology. I have seen this first hand since I own players with those chips. I don't own anything with a RokChip but based on what I have read, it appears video processing is not good. I am happy to continue to use Google TV, I consider video processing first rate for an inexpensive streaming player, Marvell was a good choice. Only so much can be done with drivers, if the chip isn't up to the task, performance won't be much.

This Tronsmart player will obviously not be selling for $50, probably more than twice that price.

• Like Like x 2
  6. alexxxfay

alexxxfay New Member

Hm...the price is $120

7. ChrisG8

I can't imagine it will ever be delivered but an eBay seller has one of these things for $26 from China, only 3 left for those with $26 to play with.

New M8 Quad Core Android 4 4 4K HD Fully Load XBMC 2 4G 5g WiFi Fly Air Mouse | eBay

8. jonw747

Sold out.

I may have rolled the dice, but yeah it looked fishy with a price that's at least $50 cheaper than other sellers.

My rooted FireTV has obsoleted my Android Dongle - which is heading back to my travel bag - so I'm not really sure what I would have done with it, lol.

9. ChrisG8

There is positive feedback for one sale but I still don't believe it. I ordered one so I will know whether or not it is legitimate.

10. ChrisG8

The seller indicates it has been shipped, again hard to imagine but some deals that look too good to be true are true, just none that I have ever purchased.

11. jonw747

Yeah, it didn't look like someone who typically sells TV players unless you count that one positive feedback. Which could either explain the low price or point to someone who got their account hacked.

Hopefully it's just the $23 bucks at stake assuming they drain the account before eBay can reverse the charge - I'm sure you'll watch out for anything else fishy.

12. ChrisG8

If it doesn't show up, eBay will refund the purchase and if it does, I have one of those silly Android mini PCs I don't know much about but it should be worth $26.

13. ChrisG8

I took a few minutes to look at his history with this item, he has sold at least 10 in the last week at that price. The seller has nothing listed now, I would say the chances this will be delivered are exactly zero, not slim, not very unlikely, there is no chance he could have sold 10 of these at this price and actually deliver them. The one positive feedback, soon after the sale on Sept. 12, not likely it could have been delivered that quickly.

14. jonw747

I've seen account thieves try to sell high-end $1000+ items, but never a $20 item.

It looks like the seller also has a Minix Neo X8H for sale as well for the same ridiculous price:

New Minix Neo x8 H Quad Core Android Media Player XBMC 2G 16g Neo M1 Airmouse | eBay

Only 3 of 10 sold.

Funny how it doesn't show up in his listings.

He also has 5 more of the M8's.

The Minix seems to be selling for $145+, but there is one other seller selling it for $.99 + $35 shipping.

Looks like a similar pattern of selling $1 items for the past year, then suddenly moving in to higher-end electronics the past month.

15. ChrisG8

Apparently eBay has no way of catching the crooks that sell a bunch of low priced items, get good feedback then move to selling something that will never be delivered. Here is another example, sold about a dozen of the Minix model at a way too low price immediately. I reported that one to eBay before the sales were completed but nothing happened.

Minix Neo x8 H Quad Core Cortex A9R4 Android KitKat 4 4 Smart TV Box 2G 16g XBMC | eBay

Who knows how much eBay loses to these crooks.

16. ChrisG8

Since I posted that link, eBay did delete it after a dozen buyers purchased the deal.

17. ChrisG8

This crook has sold 45 in a few hours.

Minix Neo x8 H Quad Core Cortex A9R4 Android KitKat 4 4 Smart TV Box 2G 16g XBMC | eBay

For whatever reason, this product is attracting the fraudsters. I know there are legitimate sellers on eBay with the AMLogic S802 boxes, it is a problem for them that so many crooks are making it difficult for them to sell anything.

I haven't read reviews to know if the AMLogic S802 boxes are an improvement over the Rockchip RK3288 versions.

18. jonw747

I think as far as these boxes go, the "Minix" name is trusted. Their new box has been selling at a premium price for a product that people expect to be cheap, so, there are going to be buyers jumping the gun thinking the prices have finally come down.

AMLogic gets a boost for the simple reason that they're not Rockchip, plus they've apparently made their video drivers public unlike Rockchip - which has always made it hard to fix bugs in Rockchip based products.

Both the S802 and the RK3288 are solid upgrades over the previous generation, but as these products mature, the emphasis shifts from performance to reliability, stability, UI, compatibility, etc.

19. ChrisG8

20. ChrisG8

That listing ended with 220 sold at $33, a second batch was listed by the same seller, already around 150 sold at the same price in a couple of days. Legitimate sellers continue to try to sell at $150 but with so many being offered at ridiculous prices, the legitimate sellers are not having much luck. What a mess and eBay has continued to allow some of the obviously bogus listings to stay up while others have been shutdown.