Quantcast

18 Streaming TV Boxes Ranked From Worst To First

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 29, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Best Streaming TV Boxes: Roku vs Apple TV vs Chromecast vs Fire TV - TIME (click for full article)

by Ben Taylor - May 29, 2014

Quick: which type of device is currently dominating Amazon’s Best Sellers list, holding the top two overall spots (as of this writing)?

A) Smartphones

B) Tablets

C) Headphones

D) Laptops

E) Streaming Media Players

Answer: E. And it’s not close. Between the Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast, Roku 3, and Apple TV, streaming media players are lighting up online retail. As customers continue to cut cable, the streaming box (or stick) is the hottest new device, a product that is somehow both affordable (usually, sub-$100) and magical (can beam just about any media from one screen to the next).

But which streaming device should you pick? Clearly, a lot comes down to content. If you’re a Yupp TV fanatic, you’ll pick the Sony NSZ-GS8, ASUS Cube, or VIZIO Co-Star LT. Decision made. Suppose, however, you’d simply like a nice blend of Netflix and Hulu, plus the ability to use your friend’s roommate’s password to access HBO Go? Good luck choosing: You’ve still got a dozen different boxes, sticks, and hockey-puck-shaped streamers that meet your needs.

Since we have no way of know whether you’re a Mad Men junkie or Game of Thrones fan—and since all the top boxes seem to be getting all the same services anyway—let’s put the actual content aside.

Instead, we set out to rank the 18 most recent streaming media players based on specs, features, usability and expert reviews. We considered every major streamer released or updated since January 2013, looking at the following factors:

- Specs and features: This primarily includes output resolutions and audio support, but also factors in wireless connectivity and features (like voice control, screencasting, and DVR functionality).

- Expert reviews: What do the likes of PC Mag, CNET, TechHive, TechRadar, LAPTOP Mag, Home Theater Review, and Wired think? We aggregated review scores to get the best big picture perspective.

Here’s what we found:

See more at: Best Streaming TV Boxes: Roku vs Apple TV vs Chromecast vs Fire TV - TIME

2. CatfishRivers

3. CatfishRivers

I noticed that the Asus Chromebox isn't mentioned in the list of TV streaming boxes from the Time article. This is because the Asus Chromebox isn't really 'officially' considered a TV streaming box - but in reading the reviews I think a lot of people use it that way (it's actually the number 1 selling 'desktop' computer on Amazon). Everyone's ideas and needs for what constitutes a good streaming box are different - but I just wanted to throw the Asus Chromebox out there as an 'unofficial' entrant into the list.

I think the following ratings on Amazon are interesting:

Asus Chromebox - 4.5

Roku 3 - 4.3

Amazon Fire TV - 4.0

Apple TV - 4.4

Chromecast - 3.9

• Like Like x 2
  4. guest

guest Active Member

Mowser DOES NOT do a good job "mobilizing content". I'm surprised that you even use it! For those using Revue's (and no doubt other platforms), the Google Mobilizer is hands-down the winner in this contest. Best Streaming TV Boxes: Roku vs Apple TV vs Chromecast vs Fire TV - TIME

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I like several of those streaming players really well but of course disagree with the ranking. Google TV, TiVo Roamio, Amazon Fire TV, Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku 1, Apple TV, then Chromecast for me in order of best to least favorite but I like all of them. I don't know enough about the others to rank them.

6. CatfishRivers

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

But you have an extreme dislike for anything Apple so your rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt. If you used iTunes then things would be different. It's a bit like asking someone from Chile to rank soccer, baseball, football and basketball as entertaining sports.

Sent from my Fire HDX.

8. CatfishRivers

9. CatfishRivers

10. CatfishRivers

11. CatfishRivers

Top 10 Best Set Top Boxes & Cable TV Alternatives | Heavy.com (click for full article)

Summary:

Finally ready to cut the cord and find an alternative to cable TV? Any of the following game consoles, set top boxes, or streaming media players are great cable TV alternatives. We’ll also let you know if these streaming media options include access to the “big three” streaming video apps: Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Instant Video.

12. CatfishRivers

13. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Interesting to me that the Amazon Fire TV would be 20% less expensive than Roku 3 in Europe, obviously Amazon is making nothing selling the box as it costs quit a bit more to make than the Roku. I think Fire TV is slightly better overall but I wouldn't use either to play games although Fire TV is probably a better game device as the result of better processing power. More and better games for Fire TV are a real possiblity, not likely to see much in the way of new and better games for Roku.