Quantcast

$12000 oled gtv ces 2013!

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by chopper, Jan 7, 2013.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Yeah right, I am placing my order right never!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hey, sounds great to me, all price points need to covered for a product to succeed.

3. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

umm, LG's OLED TV is not a GTV...it uses LG's smart TV platform, not google's.

4. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

im still not going to pay $12k for TV, no matter how great the picture is. AND...you have to worry about burn in on this tv too..

great...so burn in on plasmas is almost a non issue anymore (although still possible), but with these new OLED TV's we are back to a time where burn-in is something that can easily be done...boo. but im sure that picture quality sure than makes up for that.

5. ChrisG8

The LG speaker definitely calls it Google TV, in fact mentions seven different displays running Google TV and the demo shows Google TV. I think it is an official Google TV product.

6. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

yea well im extremely confident that it is not a Google TV product...

there are 5 different sizes of GTV in 2013 for LG, 60, 55, 50, 47 and 42, with two different model numbers, none are OLED.

i dont think LG would take that kind of risk, using a pretty much unproven Smart TV OS, on a new $12k flagship TV.

Plus.....most things announced at CES (for all manufacturers) end up never happening.

7. ChrisG8

Hard to say but it really doesn't matter much, I doubt if I ever even see this $12,000 HDTV, much less own one. He clearly states 7 models of Google TV at 5 different sizes, so a couple of sizes have two different Google TV model numbers if he is correct. If it is Google TV, it might as well be a unicorn for all it matters to me, it doesn't exist in my world.

8. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

your totally right. regardless of being true or not, i dont think any one of use will even see that $12k TV. we can only dream...

9. chopper

chopper Active Member

They do this to showcase capabilities. Eventually, the price will be 1 or 2K at which point I will be ready to buy one. At this point the content just isn't available just like when HD was first introduced. It's the future and it's going to be a while before it's widely adopted. This opens up the possibility of whole wall or near whole wall sized TV sets to replace projectors. So if your building new or renovating perhaps it's a good idea to add some extra wood in the walls to carry the extra weight these larger TV's will have built into them? Perhaps some extra horizontal cross members to screw into will be code in the near future along with a dedicated GFI outlet or 2 for all the electronics in our media centers? How about a surge protector built into an outlet?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  10. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

These OLED TVs are incredibly light and thin. LG lists their 55in OLED on their website as weighting only 16.5lbs and 4mm thick. No need for extra building codes for TVs.
    GFCI protected outlets do not protect electronics. GFCI protects against electric shocks to humans. They are especially important in places like bathrooms, kitchens, outdoors. Not so much living rooms.
    You can already buy a Whole House Surge Protector. These install at your breaker panel and protect your entire house, no need for individual outlet protection. They are reasonably priced also. Example: Amazon.com: Intermatic IG1240RC3 Whole Home Type-2 Surge Protection Device: Home Improvement
    You can however already buy individual outlets with surge protection built in. Amazon.com: Leviton 5280-W 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Decora Plus Duplex Surge Suppressor Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Self Grounding, White: Home Improvement
    Before using any surge protection device, including typical strips, always check their specifications. Often the power strips have inadequate surge protection.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

not to mention that LG didnt even annouce a 4K OLED, they only announced a 1080p OLED or really the fact that it would be available in March (supposedly)...Sony and Toshiba(?) showed off their 4K OLED PROTOTYPE that would not be available for several years...