Quantcast

10-Foot Development

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by Veeediot, Oct 13, 2010.

?

Do we need a developers' section?

1. We definitely need a developers' section!

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. You can discuss that here, but it doesn't need its own section.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Take it somewhere else!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Veeediot

Veeediot New Member

Hi, all!

I'm a new media developer for a Canadian public broadcast company. As any digital media company should be, we're pretty excited about Google TV, and I'm looking for a place to discuss development issues centered around the Google TV experience.

That said, you guys may want to consider adding a "development" section to the forums (keep in mind that development doesn't necessarily imply apps or hacking).

I'm sure developer.android.com is keen to discuss Google TV, but not all development incentives for Google TV are going to center around the Android OS. I am, myself, particularly interested in the development of 10-foot optimized websites. There's some good documentation out there on usability and design recommendations (like so), but there are some technical aspects (such as implementation of spatial navigation) which I feel are important to discuss.

What do you guys think? Have I joined the wrong forum, or is anyone else here willing to get their code on?

2. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

I'm not a developer but I would love to read about Google TV specific development here.

3. Karen

Karen New Member

Ditto.

4. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Despite it being called specifically 'hacking', development threads often exist in the 'hacking' forum, so we already have a development forum. That is why I tend to call them 'Hack/Dev', when directing posts there. I'll ask John to add 'dev' to its title. :)

5. 4Nines

4Nines Moderator Staff Member

Good idea! I will see about adding this or splitting it out into two different sections :)

6. 4Nines

4Nines Moderator Staff Member

Done! Visit the forum index page to view the shiny new Development sections :D

7. Veeediot

Veeediot New Member

Awesome! Thanks, 4nines.

Yeah, the description of "hacking" suggests that it's geared more towards rooting and modification of the Android OS and Google TV devices, so I think we're better off having a separate dev section.

Alpha, what threads are you referring to?
    I only see two threads in hacking... do old threads get pruned or something?

8. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I wasn't clear..other Forum Foundry fora, like Droidforums or NexusOneForums have a 'Hack/Dev' forum, which tend combine the two interchangeably...we get app devs seeking input as well as rooters/hackers doing threads side by side. Still, there's also value in separating them out like 4Nines has done. :)