Quantcast

1) Guide Button Not Working. 2) No Local HD Channels

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Briankbl, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Briankbl

Briankbl New Member

1) Anyone else having this issue? Here is my setup. I have my cable coax line going to a digital xfinity box(doesn't have any hdmi ports), then another coax to a digital tv tuner(does have hdmi), hdmi to costar, hdmi from costar to tv. Unfortunately, the guide button does nothing.

2) When my cable line (coax) is directly hooked up to my tv, I get the local channels in HD. When hooked up through the setup above, I no longer get those channels. Any advice?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running XenonHD v8.0!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If your cable box doesn't have HDMI output, you can't connect it to the Co-Star, what digital TV tuner are you connecting to the Co-Star by HDMI? That is the device that needs to be set up with your Co-Star but I have no idea what the "a digital TV tuner" you have connected to your Co-Star is but I do know if your Xfinity box doesn't have HDMI out, it may as well be on the moon as far as the Co-Star is concerned since it can't change your TV input to component and can't get audio if you are using a DVI>HDMI cable.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  3. Briankbl

Briankbl New Member

My xfinity box only has Cable In & Cable Out(coax). So my cable line is plugged in there, with another coax line from that box to the digital tv tuner, again Cable In(coax). Then HDMI from the tv tuner to the costar. Then hdmi from the costar to the tv.

My xfinity box does not have any hdmi ports, that's why I'm running it through an external digital tv tuner.

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

You need a new cable box with HDMI out to connect to the GTV box and a HD subscription with your cable provider. This will also give you the ability to control your cable box with the GTV remote. Some people have has success with 3rd party DVR's and GTV I think?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. Briankbl

Briankbl New Member

What I'm most confused about is why I get the local HD channels when the coax cable is going directly to the tv, but not through my xfinity box.

6. amartin

amartin New Member

I'm not sure what the xfinity box is supposed to be doing. Is it tuning a channel in, then resending over the cable line? If that's the case, it's probably filtering all but the frequency that it's sending the tuned channel on.

7. Briankbl

Briankbl New Member

Without the xfinity box, I only get the 4 local stations and the 4 hd versions of those stations. I have to use the xfinity box to receive all of the stations (but no hd channels). If I want to watch something in HD, I have to take the coax cable off the xfinity box and hook it straight up to the tv.

8. amartin

amartin New Member

Well, whatever the xfinity box is doing, it prevents the hd signals from getting through.

9. Sajpogi

Sajpogi New Member

Is that a DTA tuner for just the basic cable? the small 4" by 4" box? I have a DTA tuner and its only input and output are both coax.

If i plug the coax (from source) directly to my TV, scan it, I get HD channels. Not all though.

Here's what I did.

I did not use the DTA tuner anymore. It just came bundled with my Xfinity Internet anyway and it only gives SD channels.

I just plugged the coax (from source) directly to my TV tuner, being my Tivo HD. Scanned the channel from the tivo to get the cable channels. The local channels that are in HD, will also be in HD with channel numbers like 2.1 or 4.1, etc.
    I then connected the Tivo hdmi to the hdmi input on the GTV. I have an unsubscribed Tivo so guide button does not function properly. When I press it, it gives me a warning that I need to subscribe to Tivo. Had I subscribed, it would work.

You can try that setup, It might work. Assuming that you can scan channels on your TV tuner with HDMI.

10. Briankbl

Briankbl New Member

Yes, that is the correct xfinity box I have. And I tried your exact setup (no tivo, but I do have a tv tuner). However, it seems that I have to have the DTA in the mix. Without it, when I perform the full channel scan, I get no channels at all.

11. Briankbl

Briankbl New Member

Only thing I can think of is to get a splitter and find another coax cable so I can go straight to the tv...